1995 181dc, taking on water?

Hello all, I had my 181dc out and it was taking a lot of water on, I had to keep pumping it out...besides the obvious, drain plug, and yes it was in, lol...what else could be allowing the water to come in...wasnt sure what all I should check out...appreciate the help...
    ChampioN 181

2. Banned
    livewell fittings

3. Banned
    Livewell system is leaking hose or a fitting. Close the livewell and fill them with your garden hose look for the water in the bilge area you will narrow it down quickly.

4. Member
    What fittings am I needing to look at? Where is the location of them...sorry so many stupid questions, I am learning as I go...Thanks
    ChampioN 181

5. Banned
    Just open the back up to where you can see the bilge area (bottom inside of the boat lowest point in front of drain plug). Fill the livewells and look to see where the water is coming from. Most the time the leak is in that area if not you can tell which side it is coming from. My last leak was the livewell control valves leaking out the stem.

Not sure about yours but mine had a carpeted board that oil tank set on that had to be lifted up to get down to the bilge.

By the plig hole there are 3 holes above it. Left is livewell out, middle is in amd right is over flow. Use the garden hose to narrow them down.

Check the hose clamps on your hoses aroind the pumps.
    If you store it where water can feeze you may habe a cracked hose or pump if water froze in em over the winter.

I had to replace my live well overflow fitting and in the oroces found my pump in hose was so loose it about fell off.

If yoi uave the U shaoed tank its easy to get to the bilhe area. I pulled one battery and moved the oil tank out of the way. Remobed the tray and it was right there.

If you need to get to your libe well fittings youll have to pull the panel off behind the batteries.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Could be the livewell pump, pump and threads crack on the inside of the transom and let the water in.

8. Member
    Okay so I filled the livewells up with the garden hose. The hole on far left would have a little water coming out the back but not too much. I assume that could be the valve just not closing all the way. Then the hole far to the right, white one, would only leak when I filled the livewells all the way up to the overflow. I have to figure out how to get to the pumps and the valves. I haven't got that far yet. It looks to be a headache to get to them. I have the shaped gas tank and 3 batteries in the way...
    ChampioN 181

9. Member
    Try filling the bilge with water and see where water runs out..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

10. Banned
    Or a little mouse needing building material to make a home... Remove anything that obstructs your view from the bilge and take it to the ramp and see where the water is coming from... Dan

11. Member
    Does anyone know what all I will need to take out to see the bilge on this particular boat...I have never needed to get to the bilge...i shouldn't have to remove the gas tank should I? It's a u shaped gas tank..Thanks
    ChampioN 181

12. Member
    Not sure on your 1995 but, on my 1996 I have to remove the batteries and oil reservoir, then remove the plate that those items sit on to get to my bilge area where the pumps reside. A few years ago I had a similar problem to what you have. I removed everything and backed the boat into the water, just left it on the trailer and that was good enough to see that my live well valve assembly had a crack where one of the hoses connected to it.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

13. Member
    Same a M-D I have a 1996. Remove both trolling motor batteries and the starting battery. On my boat I can lift the oil reservoir up and place it on the gas tank. Then remove the two aluminum plates. My boat also has an access panel that covers the area right behind the livewells, removing it will help. You should now be able to see all pumps, hoses, and fittings. Once you're this far my suggestion would be replace it all.

14. Member
    Check to make sure you have the right livewell valve installed. I had the same issue, ended up that the boat shop sold me the wrong livewell valve. I have a a drain/fill valve and they sold me a drain/fill/recirc and there's a large threaded hole in the bottom for the livewell recirc pump. Instead of switching it out, i plugged the hole (3/4" npt plug). It was pouring in as fast as my bilge would pump it out. I found it by removing the battery to get to the pumps, backed down the ramp on the trailer and noticed where the culprit was.
    2001 196 Elite- 200hp Optimax

15. Member
    Hello all, appreciate all the help...I finally got around to taking everything apart and looking at in backed into the water. The water was coming in from the aeration pump. It was pretty bad so I just replaced the entire pump...the only other thing that was leaking a little was the open/close valve to empty the livewell..but it's not bad at all, just drips...but with that said where do I purchase a new one that fits this boat...I may just replace it anyway...Thanks again for all the help...
    ChampioN 181

16. Member
    My valve was just dripping slightly too until I pushed on one of the hose barbs...then she was a gusher! LOL
    This is similar to what mine is I but not red, mine was black in color IIRC.
    https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/valves/mv-01-fn01
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

17. Banned
    Open/close valves are universal just pick one up at BPS or a local shop.

18. Member
    Don't put the plug in the livewell hole instead of drain hole It fills up real fast.

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack 3 View Post
    Don't put the plug in the livewell hole instead of drain hole It fills up real fast.
    LOL, I bet it does!!!!!