2018 920 pro xp setup question

Had my new boat for a little over a week. Have a 250 pro xs , atlas jackplate, fury 25 3 blade. Been playing with the trim and jackplate settings.
    Hitting right at 70 with the jackplate at 10 and 1/4 trim, only 5400 rpm's. any more trim It starts walking bad. Any suggestions? Feel like I have a lot more power left. By the way, Awesome boat.

2. Member
    like it at 14-16,i watch my rooster tail....seat time and playing around with settings will help...took me awhile
    TrackerUser

3. Member
    Jackplate height means nothing---prop to pad is the measurement your looking for. I have a 921pro xp and get 74-75 up here in the north with a ptp of 2 3/4"-3". At home--run the hydraulic jackplate up to 10 and measure your ptp. If it's over 3" that's why your not betting the speed or rpms.
    You want your ptp set right so you dont have to overcompensate with trim ----which will help your chime walk

Had it out all day Saturday, I think I'm going to bring the motor up 1 hole.

you just need a lot more time driving. These same questions pop up on the weekly basis. Its the same for everyone, new to phoenix boats and cant get over 70 mph without it walking out of control. The boat will always walk but eventually over time you will learn how to correct the walk. It happened to me and took me hours on end to figure it out, It will not happen over night but once you get a real good feel for it you will catch on very fast. Don't worry about anything but learning how to feel the boat. medium fast turns of the wheel to the left from about 12 to 9 on the clock and then back to noon is how we all drive. I run a hydraulic plate and from 0-6" and it barely changes speed. Lets just say at 3" on my jack plate I am at 3" prop to pad. When I drop the plate to 0" at WOT I might go from 77mph down to 74 mph. Now my PTP is 6" and for 99% of people they would absolutely loose control of the boat. While continuing to run WOT I will raise my plate to 6" so now my PTP is 0" and the boat will gain speed as I increase back to my sweet spot of 3" and as I pass it going higher to 6" I will begin to loose speed again but still I can run about 75 mph. I do have like 200+ hours of WOT drive time over the last 2 years and I drove a Phoenix with a broken Atlas plate that was stuck in the full down position for a month which will really teach you how to control a boat when you want to run WOT. But im not saying you can go drop your plate to 0" and try it. It is hard and something you can mess around with when you are experienced. The perfect PTP will make life a lot easier but its not the real solution. Once you find a good area you can adjust small bumps up and down on the plate to really get that extra 1-2 mph out of the boat. My boat is fastest trimmed all the way up 99% of the time, the other 1% is when I have a very light load and less than 10 gallons of gas. At the point where the boat gets out of control for you it still has a lot more speed in it at the exact setup but im sure you are just backing of the throttle because it is out of control and you cant fix it. Like I said eventually you will get over this hump and it will be second nature. Best advice I will give for starting out is pick a plate setting. This is what i did but with a Bobs plate which is 0-6" not 0-20. I searched here for plate settings and I saw around 3-4" for a bobs. Most like around 13 on an Atlas for an average no matter what motor they run. So leave the plate at 13. Pin the hot foot and let the boat steady out at a speed lets say 65 mph. Once you are pinned at 65 mph for say 10 seconds the boat has no more speed left in it for this trim setting. Now tap the trim up. Now the boat lifts a tad and you gain some more speed. Lets say 70 mph, let it steady out then repeat again. Now you hit 72 mph and its still gaining speed but you feel the boat starting to get squirmy. This is where you need to stay and get a feel for correcting the chine. Remember turns to the left but its not as simple as just unconsciously turning the wheel left, its a timing and art form honestly, it needs to be perfectly done or it will not work. If it gets out of control which it will a bunch of times until you get a real good feel for it, its trial and error. Now lets say you get a feel for it and you are now running 73 mph steady and now you should really feel the boat on the pad. Once you are comfortable here you can bump the trim again. This time you gain up to 75 mph but she really starts to feel squirmy because you have less and less of the boat in the water. Again get a feel for this walking and speed. Trim down a tad if you cant get it and then try again and again. Eventually you will hit full trim and be running distances at this spot no problem. Now say you are running 77 mph. This is the time to start moving your plate up or down to really find the sweet spot. The plate should still be at 13, bump it up and down to see if it gains speed and depending on load. Just mess around with it and experiment. You might find that once you hit full speed and a light load that bumping the trim down 1-2 bumps may gain you speed. This might take weeks or months to really get fully dialed in doing. Hopefully this helps as its the best way I can explain driving a phoenix.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Thank you for the response. I'm going to just keep toying with it. I will defiantly use your advice.

By the way, came out of 2004 520vx ranger. Had it since 05. That boat wouldn't go fast enough to even think about walking.