Banned

Columbia South Carolina area

How is this area to retire to? House prices, taxes, job opportunities? Any other thoughts about the surrounding areas of Columbia would be greatly appreciated. Looking to come down first two weeks in September house hunting.

2. Banned
    There is a wonderful lake to the west of Columbia--Lake Murray. But the really hot retirement area would be in the northwest portion of the state--west of Greenville over by the Georgia state line. There are three major lakes in close proximity. Clemson has their major university that brings athletics and culture with one of the lakes In the middle of town. The Blue Ridge Mountains run East and West on the North Carolina state line, and they are dotted with incredible golf course neighborhoods. Gary Player liked it so well that he moved his.entire golf course design operation there.

3. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    I have an office here in Columbia and am here frequently. Actually here this week. What kind of work are you looking for and what type of area are you looking to live in.?Columbia like most cities has it all from the slums to million dollar subdivisions. You can live on the NW side of Lake Murray, the Lexington side and live ok without dropping a fortune if you don't want to be on the water. On the water it gets a little pricier. Just so many options and with more info you could be led in a more stable direction. Welcome to message me if you prefer.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Columbia SC the hottest city in the state temp wise in the summer. I'd look at the Seneca area, you'll have a change of seasons there and close to Greenville.

5. Member
    I am in Columbia due to my work, by way of Texas. I am about 25 min from Lake Murray, 40 minutes from Wateree and Monticello. 90 minutes from Santee, Clarks Hill and Wylie. All times a based on how fast you drive. I am a slow driver. There are good medical facilities, shopping is ok, decent dining. As for the heat in summer, yea, it gets hot, but that is why you have air conditioning. A lot of nice housing developments all around. Traffic does sux at "malfunction junction" in the mornings and afternoons on the way to a from work if you live in the Irmo, area.
    Do look around, Upstate like Champ mentioned, Senaca is nice, and some good lakes up there (Hartwell, Keowee, & Jocasse). Just my 2 cents.