1996 Stratos 201 Pro Fuel Pickup Tube Removal

I have a 96 stratos 201 pro xl with a honda 225 on it. Primer bulb will not stay tight after motor runs for a little while. Primer bulb will stay tight if you pump it up and dont start the motor, It has stayed tight for 3 days now. The bulb is not getting sucked flat it just gets soft to the point that it feels empty. I have replaced fuel lines from the motor to the tanks as well as replaced the selector valve between the two tanks. I have removed anti siphon valves too. Both vents are breathing as they should. My question is do i unscrew the 90 deg fitting and hold the nut that is flat against the tank to remover the pickup tube. Will the tube come all the way out? Just to mention i have replaced all fuel filters and replaced the high pressure fuel pump on the motor. The only piece that hasnt been replaced on the motor is the low pressure fuel pump and it is mechanical so i doubt that it has failed. Looking for help removing the pickup tubes to inspect and clean the screens. Thanks

Yes and yes. If I remember correctly the boss on the tank is threaded. Sounds like your are chasing a gremlin. Mine had a crusty verdigris looking buildup between the elbow fitting and the plastic pickup tube. This expanded the tube enough to allow air in.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply just needed a little confidence before i tore into the tank.

On my 94 201, the pick up tubes had completely disintegrated and fell off into the tank. They had like those little stone deals you see on aquariums that make bubbles on the end of the pickup tubes, which had also fallen into the tanks. I removed the tanks, completely cleaned them inside and out, then replaced the pickup tube with nylon tubing I found at the hardware store. Instead of putting the stones back in service, I just cut the nylon pick up tubes at a 45 degree angle at the bottom, so that they can't suck up against the bottom of the tank. I just used a crescent wrench on the square part of the 90 degree elbow to twist the 90 out, and the pick up tube was just a friction fit to the other end of that elbow. Also, when you put everything back together, make sure and use liquid pipe dope rated for gas, instead of teflon tape. Tape can get cut by the threads and end up in your fuel system clogging injectors and causing havoc. The liquid pipe dope will not.

I have always heard go OEM wiith a fuel bulb because aftermarket bulbs are prone to have issues...so what brand fuel bulb do you have.

6. Member
    Its a johnson evinrude , thanks for the heads up. I may have found the problem. I had the hood off and was squeezing the primer bulb and the line that goes from water seperator to low pressure fuel filter shot some fuel out where the line hooks to low pressure fuel filter. Gonna replace the line and see if it helps. Am i correct in thinking that that line should not leak at all even under the pressure of the primer forcing fuel? Also in regaurds to the pickup tubes i couldn't get them out without sliding the tanks forward. Too much gas in them to move them so i gotta burn some gas before tackling that project. Thanks for everyone's input.

7. Member
    No, they should not leak, no matter how hard you squeeze.

FWIW, the engine in my bass boat detonated on the prev. owner, and he had no idea why, as it was running great and doing about 65 when it happened.

I bought the boat and replaced the powerhead, and when I checked the fuel system, there was a leak.... Discovered a big crack in the main fuel line. Now I know what happened to his motor. When he was in the upper speed range, the cracked hose allowed air to get in, causing his motor to run lean and BOOM!

I highly recommend that you replace the section that is leaking ASAP.

8. Member
    Thanks parts should be in today. I had a feeling it should leak at all. I really hope this fixes the problem been chasing the problem for a while now. Thanks for the reply.