Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'12 alpha 199 dash panel

Anyone know why my nav and anchor lights come on EVERY time I turn the key, or how to stop this? It hasn't always done this. When I press the dash panel buttons they do turn off. But if powered off and on via the key they will once again be on.

Also, the small light on the side of the console...is it 'supposed' to stay barely lit always until the main breaker is thrown? I can turn it on and 'off' via the panel, but it never truly turns OFF until the breaker kills it.

I have the same problem with the small led. I've read running a new ground works. i've tried that doesn't seem to help. It does shut off when i disconnect the engine power cables from the battery, so there's a back feed from the engine power somewhere thats eluded me.

for the anchor lights, you might have a problem with the touch pad. You probably need to talk with legend about that.

3. Banned

4. Member
    FWIW, when I got my 199 secondhand, I had quite a few wires on the batteries. I since moved most all of them to the breaker, except the main engine cables. Now, and not before, the side light WILL go out when the breaker is tripped.

For backstory, I did this because I had killed quite a few cranking batteries in short order and was looking a culprit. The only thing I could find was that faint light, the dash panel lights, and the livewell oxygenator was wired straight to battery and has since been disconnected completely (if I remember correctly, it seemed to show 6 or 7 volts on those wires even then?, I will recheck) My front trim also does not work currently, and the nav/anchor light switches are very often being depressed when the TM is stowed, which I have been trying to remedy for some time...damn cables want to go back to that position no matter how I adjust it seems. If I can resolve that and the lights continue to turn on, I will give Legend a call about that panel. I feel like there is a short in it somewhere anyhow. I always found it very strange that I can turn the side light fully on or barely on but not off. I will tinker some more when I get a chance and update. Thanks for the response and thread link, guys.

Jab106 - try disconnecting only the engine wires from battery. I'm just curious if it causes the lights to go out.

I finally said screw it and just put a master switch off the battery and wire everything through that except charger and engine.

so quick update - i put that master disconnect switch 10" from my battery on a 4awg lead in 2 weeks ago. From that switch i ran the master power to the breaker for the console and my 2 power pole pumps. I had it turned off and was messing with something else and turn the Key to the on position - after a couple seconds i heard my power pole pumps beep as they came on and my dash touch pad then lit up.

This shouldn't be possible because all of those things are wired to the same master switch which is completely disconnected from the battery. The power poles are direct to the switch and do not go through the box - so when my brain box gets the 12v "key on/ign" which should turn it on, its backfeeding that voltage all through the whole system. I can read 12v at the postivite terminal on the brain box. So i'm not sure if someone spliced into the wrong wire or there is something wrong with the box. I'm also getting 7v on the "main fuel" relay wire when the whole wiring harness is disconnected from the brain box and the key is on - no idea where that wire goes, so if anyone knows, please share. I did disconnect it from the harness and it doesn't fix the problem.

i hate gremlins!

Guys, I have a 12 Alpha 199 and getting the same lighting issue. The side console and forward day box LEDs stay lit even when powered off. This is a known problem since i got the boat new in 2012. I have worked with Lou (miss him) in replacing the LED, brain, and switch pad with zero results. Also, i had one of the authorized repair shops spend 2 hours (paid by Legend) digging into the problem with no resolve. I believe that it is a stray voltage issue or ground problem. One other issue occurred. I was in the garage one day while it was hot and my sweaty arm brushed up against the trolling motor and i had a mild zap. Had my neighbor use a volt meter and found that there was .05 V of stray voltage on the TM. Since then, i just accepted it. My zinc anode is always white.

8. Banned
    Mines not wanting to turn off sometimes after I pull the key and hit the power off button and I'm dreading it croaking on me sooner than later.
    Last edited by Legend LE-195; 06-20-2018 at 08:28 PM.

My courtesy lights will remain on even if i turn off the main power also. i've never found it to be an issue really.

i also was able to determine that several pins put out 5v all the time the box is plugged in. I believe this is probably a nominal voltage the box uses to determine if there is anything on the circuit. It just happens that the bolt leds will faintly light on 5v.

To be save, i wired a relay between the ign and the brain box so that it can no longe backfeed through the engine system.