Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1. Banned
    mines still working fine on auto, high chirp narrow and everything else on default

2. Member
    I learned that the Chirp needs to be set to High only to prevent double bottom for me. Needs to be done in the settings and NOT from the pulldown menu on the 2d page. The pulldown apparently only changes the view.

There's a rumor that yet another software update is coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    mines still working fine on auto, high chirp narrow and everything else on default
    dammitt ! knew I should have made an exclusion for you

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
    I learned that the Chirp needs to be set to High only to prevent double bottom for me. Needs to be done in the settings and NOT from the pulldown menu on the 2d page. The pulldown apparently only changes the view.

There's a rumor that yet another software update is coming soon.
    Thank you but if I remember, you have a Solix right?

Maybe I should have found the thread titled Helix.
    Seems the navigation of the menus are different. I don't need anymore confusion.
    But I'm printing and making notes on everything I can find.

Mine works good with surface clutter no less than 5 on any frequency.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Helix 12 units. SI & MDI G2N

The Medium Sensitivity offset > set to -4 to -6 depending on conditions. ??

In the Menus, I can only find that on my SI unit.
    Can not find it on my DI unit.
    Is that how it is or can someone tell me where to find that setting on a Helix 12 DI G2N Mega unit.

Also >>> some say Chirp ON High, others say turn CHIRP OFF.
    If you turn CHIRP OFF, is that only OFF for 2D, or OFF for DI & SI too?
    What frequency range for DI & SI ?

Headed to the lake tomorrow for a couple weeks. Want to get these things working right.
    I'd like to be able to see how deep it is when I'm less than 10' without stickin my pole in the water.

Thanks

7. Member
    Chirp on or off . No difference you should be good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Helix 12 units. SI & MDI G2N

The Medium Sensitivity offset > set to -4 to -6 depending on conditions. ??

In the Menus, I can only find that on my SI unit.
    Can not find it on my DI unit.
    Is that how it is or can someone tell me where to find that setting on a Helix 12 DI G2N Mega unit.

Also >>> some say Chirp ON High, others say turn CHIRP OFF.
    If you turn CHIRP OFF, is that only OFF for 2D, or OFF for DI & SI too?
    What frequency range for DI & SI ?

Headed to the lake tomorrow for a couple weeks. Want to get these things working right.
    I'd like to be able to see how deep it is when I'm less than 10' without stickin my pole in the water.

Thanks
    Thank you

Thank you
    Medium frequency is 75-95 kHz or 83 kHz single frequency.

Don't know what frequency choices you have with a Helix MEGA DI unit, but using the MEGA DI transducer with a SOLIX or ONIX, the 2D CHIRP frequency is 140-240 kHz.
    There is no dual frequency to even have an offset.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Helix MDI only gives you B/W choice between 140-240Khz (supplied XDCR) Unless using a Dual Beam.

I would suggest try to narrow the bandwidth to 220-240 kHz in Chirp config. and see how it fares - the lower the frequency - the more repeated echoing you will have.

Even trying 221-233 kHz are 'odd values' and may work with your hull design better...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

The MDI unit is @ the bow. I have the Dual Spectrum Xducer on the troll motor.

SFW suggestion is with CHIRP ON obviously if I'm configuring CHIRP.

Somehow along this winding road I was lead to believe that CHIRP was part of the problem and to run with it OFF. ??

Reckon I'll try it both ways and see what happens, but was hoping to have a good base point for the settings, considering the digital depth jumping around.
    The units having dissimilar settings options is another thing that adds to the confusion.

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    The MDI unit is @ the bow. I have the Dual Spectrum Xducer on the troll motor.

SFW suggestion is with CHIRP ON obviously if I'm configuring CHIRP.

Somehow along this winding road I was lead to believe that CHIRP was part of the problem and to run with it OFF. ??

Reckon I'll try it both ways and see what happens, but was hoping to have a good base point for the settings, considering the digital depth jumping around.
    The units having dissimilar settings options is another thing that adds to the confusion.
    I've never turned chirp off on the MDI 2D - I would imagine it would put you right @ 200 kHz.
    ( i should look!)

Clutter control adjustment and dialing the sensitivity way back is important.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    I've never turned chirp off on the MDI 2D - I would imagine it would put you right @ 200 kHz.
    ( i should look!)

Clutter control adjustment and dialing the sensitivity way back is important.
    With the SOLIX, when CHIRP is turned off you get the whole spectrum from 140 to 240 to select a single one.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Tried all these settings this morning.
    None of them worked.

7' seems to be the magic #. Anything under that and I'm spinning out of control from 2 - 80 feet.
    Bottom depth range goes ape shit and screen shows 2 - 4,5 bottoms til I get back out over 7' and STAY there for a few seconds while this thing gathers itself.
    I even tried with the helm unit powered OFF.

Very disappointed is putting it mildly.

Would the latest update be of any help concerning this particular problem?

My units came with 1.610
    basemap - 1.051

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    I'll try messing with surface clutter. I have mine down to 3 to get rid of the crud across the top.
    This video illustrates what I'm getting when choosing between 2D and AUTO for digital depth source.

By chance, would you remember what KHz range you were using on DI and SI at the time of this video?

I've been using Auto but, yesterday when viewing split screen 2d and DI. I changed the DI from MEGA to 455 and the digital depth started reading double or triple depth. I changed back to MEGA and continued fishing. I was mapping with ACL, so I didn't want to mess with it at the time but, I'm thinking if I would have changed it back to 2d element from Auto, hopefully it would have shown the correct depth with DI at 455. I will try next time out.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cards21 View Post
    By chance, would you remember what KHz range you were using on DI and SI at the time of this video?

I've been using Auto but, yesterday when viewing split screen 2d and DI. I changed the DI from MEGA to 455 and the digital depth started reading double or triple depth. I changed back to MEGA and continued fishing. I was mapping with ACL, so I didn't want to mess with it at the time but, I'm thinking if I would have changed it back to 2d element from Auto, hopefully it would have shown the correct depth with DI at 455. I will try next time out.
    You can see for yourself if you pause the video around 15-16 seconds. It was set for 2D high freq, DI 455 and SI mega.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

17. Member
    i Have made the changes recommended here. Digital Depth Source,Surface Clutter and MaxDi. I have a Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N using came with Mega xdcr. Question is what xdcr should be my connected xdcr be now.

Avilable from drop down.
    Mega Imaging
    High Definition Side Imaging
    Compact Side Imaging
    HB 50/200 KHz + 455 Khz
    Mega DI
    DI 200/455Khz
    DI 83/200 Khz
    DI 50/200 Khz
    Hb 83/200 Khz
    Hb 50/200 Khz
    Then five Generic Low Frquency options. All have a note to set Chirp frequency accordingly.

I admit lots of this thread is out of my pay grade, just trying for best performance available.

Tks

18. Member
    If it’s a mega si unit use the mega imaging transducer setting. You said max di? It’s not it’s max depth.

Quote Originally Posted by loganmartincat View Post
    i Have made the changes recommended here. Digital Depth Source,Surface Clutter and MaxDi. I have a Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N using came with Mega xdcr. Question is what xdcr should be my connected xdcr be

I admit lots of this thread is out of my pay grade, just trying for best performance available.

Tks
    Take it for what it may be worth to you, but I spoke with Humminbird last week about this, and most all those settings changes listed in this thread ain’t got jack charlie shit to do with FIXING this digital depth problem.
    I was told that their Technicians did suggest these at one time but no so anymore.

She said >>>>>> until they have a fix via software update to do this ONLY,
    restore defaults and change the digital depth from 2D to AUTO. DO NOTHING ELSE.

I did that and my unit works way better than with jacking with the mentioned settings in this thread. Only time it will flake out now is when I get in around 3’ of water. I’m certainly not saying this will work for ANYBODY else, but it did for me.
    They are aware of the problem and are working on a software update to fix it......so said she.

You choose the Xducer that is connected to your unit. If you restore defaults and then power it off/on, the unit should select the Xducer that is connected.

Good luck

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    If it’s a mega si unit use the mega imaging transducer setting. You said max di? It’s not it’s max depth.
    There is a MaxDi setting (On/Off). on Chirp Mega SI models. Page 38 recommendation is turn off for better resolution in shallow water. Shallow water verse deep water is not explained who knows? Get more confused every time I attempt to understand.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast