Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    With surface clutter, the smaller the number the more filtering .... and the less clutter .... kinda backwards from what you may think. It is often recommended to have the setting at 7 or greater with switchfire set to clear to prevent shallow water depth readings.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

2. Member
    These settings have taken care of most of my shallow water depth readings also.

3. Member
    So can we narrow this thread down to help the next guys that come along and say do these things:

1. Surface clutter to 7
    2. ...
    3...So on you get it.

etc. etc. whatever- I'm no the right guy to do it but someone should!

I just got helix 12 and helix 10 and they are great imaging units but this depth thing had me salty. I think with all these options I'll get it straighted out. Just think it would be nice to make a little list.
    2017 Nitro

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlosser65 View Post
    So can we narrow this thread down to help the next guys that come along and say do these things:

1. Surface clutter to 7
    2. ...
    3...So on you get it.

etc. etc. whatever- I'm no the right guy to do it but someone should!

I just got helix 12 and helix 10 and they are great imaging units but this depth thing had me salty. I think with all these options I'll get it straighted out. Just think it would be nice to make a little list.

Evidently not.....

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Can someone please tell me were the setting is for this on a Solix
    This for the helix, Wayne answered regarding the solix.
    Triton 20X,2022 225 pro xs four stroke,
    Mega 360-helix G4N Di-helix 10,helix 10 G2N SI, Solix 10 G3N, mega live

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    already done. my depth never freaks out unless my transducer is actually touching bottom. i can't go any shallower than 2ft as my transducer is 2 foot below the surface

Troy, nice setup with a 15" on the bow! How well is your 2D, DI, and SI views while running the trolling motor?

7. Banned
    i got lucky with my install and i don't have any interference. i just changed transducers though so we will see this weekend

8. Member
    My issue is it almost always shows depthx2 in under 15'. So if I look down and it says I'm in 26 ft I know I'm really in about 13. From 0-5 seems ok but 5-15' where I have my issue so I'll try these recommended settings .
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

9. Member
    I have not been on the water not do I have much if any experience with the Solix, but what I did see pinging in my garage was that the med frequency sensitivity offset really cleared up the screen as I approached -4.

I think this may be a key setting but will not know until the weekend.

10. Member
    83 kHz beam is what I had the most problems with. So I just run on 200 in less than 10 ft

Kinda crazy it is necessary to turn off 83 Khz in shallower water since the increased coverage of 83 Khz is what you want in shallow water ..... they really need to fix this.

Seems like 83 Khz is their Achilles heel.

12. Member
    Seems to,Unfortunately

Yes ... It is a "get around" that seems to solve some of the shallow water issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Kinda crazy it is necessary to turn off 83 Khz in shallower water since the increased coverage of 83 Khz is what you want in shallow water ..... they really need to fix this.

Seems like 83 Khz is their Achilles heel.
    83khz is a more powerful frequency than 200khz with longer wavelengths that are absorbed by the water at a slower rate than the higher frequency 200khz which has a greater range with less detail, even though it has more coverage it's a tool for deeper water.

Quote Originally Posted by CSF View Post
    83khz is a more powerful frequency than 200khz with longer wavelengths that are absorbed by the water at a slower rate than the higher frequency 200khz which has a greater range with less detail, even though it has more coverage it's a tool for deeper water.
    I don't think the fact that 83 Khz will penetrate deeper into the water has ever come into play as the reason to use it in fresh water. I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain that they were not getting good bottom readings with 200 Khz in deeper water.
    The difference in coverage area is why dual beam sonar has been a favorite of a lot of us for a long time.

Since the depth reading always comes from the 200 Khz even if 83 is turned on .... why can't you run 83 Khz in shallow water without causing intermittent depth readings? I will make a WAG that it has to do with the ping rate just like it did with the poor 2D we had for a long time after the core units 6.57 software was released.
    I kinda suspect that the 200 Khz needs to have a faster ping rate to get consistent depth readings in shallower water and turning off the 83 Khz beam allows that to happen....they need to accomplish that another way.
    Last edited by Bob B; 06-08-2018 at 12:46 AM.

I don't think the fact that 83 Khz will penetrate deeper into the water has ever come into play as the reason to use it in fresh water. I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain that they were not getting good bottom readings with 200 Khz in deeper water.
    The difference in coverage area is why dual beam sonar has been a favorite of a lot of us for a long time.

Since the depth reading always comes from the 200 Khz even if 83 is turned on .... why can't you run 83 Khz in shallow water without causing intermittent depth readings? I will make a WAG that it has to do with the ping rate just like it did with the poor 2D we had for a long time after the core units 6.57 software was released.
    I kinda suspect that the 200 Khz needs to have a faster ping rate to get consistent depth readings in shallower water and turning off the 83 Khz beam allows that to happen....they need to accomplish that another way.
    Helix and core units have ping cycles, there are either a single ping for 200khz or 83khz if only running one frequency or a single ping for each if running both in each cycle in both jigging mode on or off.

Are you 100% positive depth only comes from 200khz? Running in 83khz only there would be no depth reading.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSF View Post
    Are you 100% positive depth only comes from 200khz? Running in 83khz only there would be no depth reading.
    My understanding is 200khz is pinging, if sonar is on, no matter what setting, for depth.

Bob

Agreed 100%. I don’t know what Birds issue is with slow ping speeds on 2d. We have amazing resolution on these displays that go very much wasted in creating a really nice and complete 2d image compared to competition. Sub par by quite a margin even at slow scroll speeds of 3&4, but Bump to 5 or more and what a complete mess of pixels that creates. I don’t know what their problem is exactly but I wish they would resolve it and get with the program. At least fix the erratic depth issue....What a joke!

20. Member
    Not sure if this got changed during the transition to MEGA or Solix units but here's an explanation of the way SI units use 83/200KHZ and Jigging Mode for 2D from Humminbird (Post #1)
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ht=depth+83khz
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast