150 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Anyone have any experience with this motor? Have had an Xpress X19 Pro on order since Feb 5. Not a Yamaha guy, so ordered it without motor and dealer was going to hang a 150 Pro XS 2 stroke on it for me (have had great success with Mercury Optimax). Got a call today saying this motor is discontinued. Dealer said they would give me a 150 Pro XS 4 stroke for same $$, or I could pay the difference for a 200 Pro XS. Hate getting anything when it just hits the market...Don't want another Lowrance Spotlight scan on my hands...Any thoughts?

If you get the 150 it is not new so to speak the Pro XS is built on the proven for over 5 years 3.0 litre platform which has been a rock solid performer with very few mechanical issues. I have run one since 2013 with no problems easy to maintain yourself ,quiet and runs my 19' Ranger glass boat fully tournament loaded without any performance issues good hole shot, mid range and top-end. Now the 200 Pro XS that is yet to be seen.

3. Member
    The 200 Pro XS is a 2 stroke. I understand it was built on a proven platform, I guess the "transient spark technology" on the new version sparks memories of Chevy's "Cross Fire Injection"...

There are conflicting reports out now that some HP categories of the Optimax/ProXS 2 stroke production was ended May1st . Whether that is true or not you can tell by reading articles 2 strokes are fading out replaced by the 4 strokes, good or bad that's just the way it is so your choice if you get the 200 -2 stroke or take a chance on the new technology 200 V-6 4 stroke. One big mechanical issue with Opti's was there air-compressors no telling how many versions Merc came up with and they still had issues I went thru 3 on the 200 Opti I had then I had friends that never had a problem but when a motor is getting phased out my guess there R&D to solve problems will switch to the current production 4 strokes so any lingering mechanical problems with Opti's will just be replaced by the version of part that was last developed.
    Last edited by bassbama; 05-03-2018 at 05:10 AM.

5. Member
    The 150 Mercury 4 stroke changed my whole attitude about 4 strokes. Much better performance than I thought it would. Acceleration, top end, fuel economy, and even sound was cool. The Pro XS version is what I've been hoping they would do at some point. The 115 PXS 4 stroke has been a performer and I have no doubts the 150 will be too.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater101 View Post
    The 200 Pro XS is a 2 stroke.
    Not any more.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Banned
    I would get the new Pro XS version as it has stiffer mounts from the Sea Pro version that will hold up better...

Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    If you get the 150 it is not new so to speak the Pro XS is built on the proven for over 5 years 3.0 litre platform which has been a rock solid performer with very few mechanical issues. I have run one since 2013 with no problems easy to maintain yourself ,quiet and runs my 19' Ranger glass boat fully tournament loaded without any performance issues good hole shot, mid range and top-end. Now the 200 Pro XS that is yet to be seen.
    Are you suggesting this nothing more than a re-lable and nothing improved?

Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    Are you suggesting this nothing more than a re-lable and nothing improved?
    No, the op seemed to be questioning whether he would be taking a chance on a totally new engine and the reliability of the new 150 Pro XS. All I was pointing out was that the platform 150 3.0 litre 4/stoke has been proven reliable and that the new Pro XS will have some new additions like gearcase and other tweaks the guts of the engine will still use most of the parts and design that have worked on the regular 3.0 litre for years.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    No, the op seemed to be questioning whether he would be taking a chance on a totally new engine and the reliability of the new 150 Pro XS. All I was pointing out was that the platform 150 3.0 litre 4/stoke has been proven reliable and that the new Pro XS will have some new additions like gearcase and other tweaks the guts of the engine will still use most of the parts and design that have worked on the regular 3.0 litre for years.
    I'm hearing there are new improvements with the soon to be released 150 ProXS Fourstroke over the current Merc fourstroke. What it is I don't know.

Does anyone have any information on the motor?

11. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax