Fast Strike 150 Shifter Cable Question

My 1992 Fast Strike 150 GLENC has a hot foot for the throttle cable and the shifter cable is operated from the hand throttle. I will start by saying that the motor shifts into Forward and Reverse as it should every time. 95% of the time when I put the boat in Forward I can freely push the hand throttle forward down to where it is parallel with the floor/deck of the boat. 5% of the time I can only push it forward to about a 1/2 to 3/4 as far forward as it usually will freely go. I wanted to seek some advice from the folks on here that know a lot more about outboards than me. Are there any ideas on what could be causing this to happen periodically and what I can do to prevent it if it could be something that needs to be addressed?

2. Member
    You only need to put it in gear with the shifter lever. The throttle is controlled by the hot foot only. You probably still have the shifter cable attached to the hand throttle and it is catching on something.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    You only need to put it in gear with the shifter lever. The throttle is controlled by the hot foot only. You probably still have the shifter cable attached to the hand throttle and it is catching on something.
    What exactly is the shifter lever? I had assumed that to shift into forward and reverse you just push the hand throttle forward or backwards, is this the correct way to shift?

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Shifter lever or hand throttle......same thing. With a hot foot all you need to do is shift it into gear, no need to push it paralllel to the floor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Shifter lever or hand throttle......same thing. With a hot foot all you need to do is shift it into gear, no need to push it paralllel to the floor.
    Ok, that's what I thought. There must be something in a bind behind the control panel that won't let it go all the way down sometimes. Thanks for the input guys. When I upgrade my steering cables I will probably pop the side panel off to investigate further.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Look in your battery compartment the cable may be coiled up back there and hitting something. I wouldn't sweat it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Look in your battery compartment the cable may be coiled up back there and hitting something. I wouldn't sweat it.
    Now that you mention it I am 99% sure it is catching on something in the battery compartment/bilge area. I periodically have to move this cable to a different position to get my funnel to the oil tank and it usually catches after I fill the oil tank. Thank You all for your help.