Capacitor let go on electric motor —any lasting issues??

I have a pool with a 3/4 hp electric motor turning a booster pump. The other day, the capacitor let go. It was oil filled so it leaked onto/into the motor. I am guessing some of the oil went inside through the hole that passed the wires to the capacitor.

So so can I simply replace the capacitor or did the oil leaking in cause an issue?

Motor is a Century Centurion B668

thanks Mike
    currently boatless

Throw a new capacitor on it and find out. The windings are insulated but you could also have a problem with the motor which caused the capacitor failure.

3. Member
    Yes, I wanted to give it a go. I was worried that the oil could cause a issue. The motor showed no signs of distress before the capacitor let go.
    currently boatless

4. Member
    It's dielectric oil. You should be fine

5. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    It could be a voltage issue not necessarily anything wrong with the motor. Put a new one on it and forget it I would check the incoming voltage. And for the oil extra lubrication!

6. Member
    It depends on the capacitor. If its a run capacitor or a start capacitor. The motor can fry either, not usually though. If its a run capacitor replace it and run it if it will. If its a start capacitor the motor will have centrifugal switch in it. If the switch is bad, the motor may start or may not with a new capacitor. The switch can fail open or be welded closed. Either way replace the capacitor (they're cheap). Check the operation thoroughly, don't just replace the capacitor and walk away.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

If the cap oil got into the winding, it could potentially cause an issue by degrading the insulation on the wire. Having said that, we have replaced many blown caps on motors that went on to run for a long time. I would clean it up as best I could, check all the connections, confirm incoming power, replace the cap, and go.

That is a permanent split capacitor type motor, so be sure you replace with a run-type capacitor of the appropriate microfarad and voltage rating.

Shoot me a PM if you have questions. I’ve been in the electric motor biz for 20+ years.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

I'd replace it with a flux capacitor.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    I'd replace it with a flux capacitor.

If if I did that.....I would have a “hot tub time machine”
    currently boatless

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    If the cap oil got into the winding, it could potentially cause an issue by degrading the insulation on the wire. Having said that, we have replaced many blown caps on motors that went on to run for a long time. I would clean it up as best I could, check all the connections, confirm incoming power, replace the cap, and go.

That is a permanent split capacitor type motor, so be sure you replace with a run-type capacitor of the appropriate microfarad and voltage rating.

Shoot me a PM if you have questions. I’ve been in the electric motor biz for 20+ years.
    i have the shell of the old capacitor and I was planning on carrying that to a shop with me. So hopefully I would end up with the right on.
    currently boatless

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    It depends on the capacitor. If its a run capacitor or a start capacitor. The motor can fry either, not usually though. If its a run capacitor replace it and run it if it will. If its a start capacitor the motor will have centrifugal switch in it. If the switch is bad, the motor may start or may not with a new capacitor. The switch can fail open or be welded closed. Either way replace the capacitor (they're cheap). Check the operation thoroughly, don't just replace the capacitor and walk away.
    ^^^Yup!

12. Member
    Well to hopefully close this out, I did locate a new capacitor.

The motor is is up and running again, and it has been for a few days

thanks to all for the help. Unfortunately, I could not locate the correct sized flux capacitor so I went with a regular one. Maybe next time.
    currently boatless

13. Member
    Well, so much for working that motor in 2525!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

14. Banned
    How did it just "Let Go"? wasnt it holding on tight enough ?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    How did it just "Let Go"? wasnt it holding on tight enough ?
    it blew apart. The cover flew over a wood fence, the top was still attached to the motor wiring, the casing was a few feet away, and a bit of oil on the motor.
    currently boatless