Thread: Whitefish Chain

Whitefish Chain

Hello All - Im looking for a little bit of info on Whitefish lake chain. My nephew has a high school bass tournament there in early June. I am his boat captain and provider lol. I will be taking him and his partner there for the tournament and a few days before for a little fun fishing and to explore the lake some. Does anyone have any advice on where to stay nearby that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks for any and all info!

2. Member
    That is a tough area for lodging... especially affordable lodging. The cheaper stuff is not very nice and the other stuff is more expensive from my experiences. You could always stay in Brainerd, that will be about a half hour drive to the lake and plenty of options in every price range. The Super 8 is decent and usually around $100/night. You may also want to look into a VRBO or Airbnb, many times there are deals to be had there too.

3. Member
    Nothing close, that is cheap. That's the bad thing about Whitefish. You'll have to stay a ways away, and make a little drive to the lake.

4. Member
    Thank you guys for the info. Is there any part of the chain that is better to spend some time fishing than others?

5. Member
    Ton of fish from one end to the other. At different times of the year I've tonned 'em from slop, to deep weedlines...and everything in between. Pick one section and start up on the shoreline and inside weedline. Then fish slop. Then the flats, and punch weeds. Finally, go to the outside weedline. You do that, and you'll run into them.

It has always been a pattern lake for me.

6. Member
    Thanks Hawg Whacker! I appreciate the info.

Hit Trout for some decent size smallies.

8. Member
    Sounds good. Thank You

9. Member
    depending on what access you come out of, we won our tourney last year out of little pine all day, granted it was in august and we didn't have far to go being as we put in on cross lake, however little pine and Daggett were both full of fish shallow (less than 5 feet) look for slop/pads and should find them relatively easy.

10. Member
    I spend at least a few days up there every year on a family vacation. Fishing is always really good! I've heard a lot of tournaments are won with Smallies out of Trout lake. As far as lodging we always camp at the Core of Engineer's Campground.

11. Member
    Pull up Pequot Lakes Mn. and check the hotels available. Pequot is about a 20 to 30-minute drive to the Lower Hay Lake boat access. Which is part of the Whitefish Chain. Access is good and ample parking.

12. Member
    So how was the fishing...

The wind was ridiculous. Howled out of the NW all day long. Thank goodness we had fish in some sheltered bays to go to. My grandson and his teammate weighed 12-10 for 18th place out of 96 boats. Not too bad. They had a 3 and a 4 (LMs) which went a long way in separating them from the pack a bit. It took 15+ to win it. Shallow bay LM were definitely post-spawn. Water temps in the shallows bays were from 72 to 82 Memorial weekend. Two days of roaring cold front right before the tournament had them back down into the 60s. Just an awesome topwater bite until the cold front hit. Good day on the water. Didn't break anything despite some rough rides on the main lake.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.