Thread: gps puck

gps puck

I have a new Helix with the 360 trolling motor ducer. The ducer came with a gps antenna. What is the advantage of have the external gps antenna when the graph has an internal antenna already?

The front of my boat is already pretty busy so if there is no advantage I would love to not have another set of holes in my boat.

2. Member
    I've heard external antennas are more accurate. But that probably isn't the best answer to your question. I'm very interested in better understanding this topic you brought up.

3. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=898297

I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago... the short answer is that the puck allows you to mark waypoints on the 360 graph. The puck duplicates the GPS function of the head unit, but it also provides heading data. My understanding is that the Helix is only able to process distance - not direction - when you mark a waypoint on the 360 graph... it needs the puck to know what direction the waypoint is.

Think of it this way... you spot structure on the 360 graph at 35 feet dead ahead and mark it as a waypoint. Now you turn your boat around and mark the exact same waypoint (which now appears directly behind you). Without the puck, Helix doesn't know what direction the boat is facing, and therefore it has no clue that you marked the exact same waypoint twice.

(Note: IME, without the puck installed, Helix won't let you mark waypoints on the 360 graph.)

4. Member
    Good explination.

I would also like to add.... the heading sensor/gps puck is one of the best tools on the boat. Since the bow unit will know, at all times, how your boat is pointed... you can line up and make very accurate casts to waypoints. The heading sensor will also keep the map from getting jerky and rotating when the boat is drifting or barely moving. You will want to set your map to "heading up". You will love all the benefits of the heading sensor.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

The Heading Sensor also lets you display waypoints on the 360 view. Turn on 360 Navigation for that function.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Thanks for the info... good stuff