New Z19 gas spitting up with first tank fill

So, this might be obvious for some, but I took my new 2017 Z19 out last night for the first time to start the break-in procedure. Gassed up the boat on the way out and while doing so, gas kept spitting back out as I was filling it. I slowed the speed of filling it up to help, but with such a large tank it took forever to even get 20 gallons in it at such a slow rate to prevent gas from spitting back up. I did notice that when I first opened the gas lid, it sucked in a bunch of air from being pressurized.

Am I going to have to deal with filling it up so slow from now on or is there something I'm missing. As for background, my two prior boats (1985 Ranger 375V and then 2010 Nitro X5) never had those problems.
    David
    2017 Nitro Z19 - 200hp Merc Opti ProXS

2. Member
    Mine is under a lot of pressure ever time I open the cap as well but definitely have no problems filling up at any speed. Did you try another pump or check to see if something is inside blocking it?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    Mine is under a lot of pressure ever time I open the cap as well but definitely have no problems filling up at any speed. Did you try another pump or check to see if something is inside blocking it?
    I did check the line, best I could anyway. Didn't try another pump as I was able to lower the flow rate, but I will the next time I fill it up.
    David
    2017 Nitro Z19 - 200hp Merc Opti ProXS

I have to hold the gas nozzle upside down on my Z6.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

5. Member
    You should be ok after the first fill up.

6. Member
    I have heard before that the pressure is normal. My previous boat, a 2013 Ranger, did the same thing. I generally run about a half a tank in my Z19. My first fill was with 25 gallons and no issues. My second I added about 10 more gallons and still not a problem. I probably won't fill it up till I put it up for the winter.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

7. Member
    Well my Nitro was a spitter as well until I discovered the vent lines were full of gas. It's like a Pee Trap so the vent line needs to be clear. I blow from the vent side back into the tank and I also shortened my Vent hose......Problem gone. Good Luck.

8. Member
    Pressure is normal. I believe that is a 2013 EPA regulation change where the gases can't vent until the pressure reaches 5 psi so there will be some pressure in your tank
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

Your vent hose is not venting as it should.... Probably full of fuel like rjd mentioned. Clear the hose and the gas will flow easily down the fill tube.... Air has to get out if you fill the talk with fuel....
    I've had this problem with multiple boats and it is always on the first few fill ups it seems...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Did someone say vent hose.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team