Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skeeter (EZ Loader) Brakes Not Working

Hey guys. I have a 2011 Skeeter ZX200 with a tandem axle EZ Loader trailer. The disc brakes seem to not work anymore and I doubt the previous owner ever did any maintenance. The reservoir on the tongue is full, but very murky/rusty looking. When stopping I can hear/feel the tongue slam in, and when accelerating from a dead stop I feel it pull apart. I don't feel the brakes at all when stopping anymore. Where should I start my investigation? Bleeding the brakes? Pads? I'm savvy with a wrench, but never done any brake work on a boat trailer.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. Member
    YOUTUBE IS YOUR FRIEND FOR THIS--DO A SEARCH
    Rocket

3. Member
    Pull the tire that the brakes are on. Inspect the pads, if worn thin or missing replace. Bleed brakes of all the bad fluid and replace with new. If issue isn’t resolved,possible bad wheel caliper or master cylinder.

If you have fluid in the master cylinder you should have some brakes. Pull the wheels off the braking axel. Spin the wheels and manually work the master cylinder with a screw driver. If the wheels continue to spin you either have a bad master cylinder or stuck calipers. If your wheels try to stop or the master cylinder feels spongy you have air in the lines. If the master cylinder is contaminated and your actuator shock is banging. Buy a complete new Actuator. My 2010 Ez loader was abused by the previous owner. I installed new Actuator , new calipers and flex line in the fold away tongue. Then replaced s few LED lights. Trailers are a maintence item that some folks give no attention too until they break.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Thanks guys. I’ll get started tomorrow and keep the thread updated.

Unplug your lights and try to back up. That will let you know if they are working.

7. Member
    Had similar issues, ended up being calipers. The new calipers come pre packed with pads ready to go. Very easy to pull off and replace then re bleed the system. However if yours aren't working at all I would look to the master cylinder first. Inspect it, maybe drain fluid and flush, replace the master cylinder then re bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hchamberlin1 View Post
    Had similar issues, ended up being calipers. The new calipers come pre packed with pads ready to go. Very easy to pull off and replace then re bleed the system. However if yours aren't working at all I would look to the master cylinder first. Inspect it, maybe drain fluid and flush, replace the master cylinder then re bleed.
    What's the best way to test/check the master cylinder?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chaseerry View Post
    What's the best way to test/check the master cylinder?
    Look up 4 responses. ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    If you have fluid in the master cylinder you should have some brakes. Pull the wheels off the braking axel. Spin the wheels and manually work the master cylinder with a screw driver. If the wheels continue to spin you either have a bad master cylinder or stuck calipers. If your wheels try to stop or the master cylinder feels spongy you have air in the lines. If the master cylinder is contaminated and your actuator shock is banging. Buy a complete new Actuator. My 2010 Ez loader was abused by the previous owner. I installed new Actuator , new calipers and flex line in the fold away tongue. Then replaced s few LED lights. Trailers are a maintence item that some folks give no attention too until they break.
    Perfect, thanks. I attempted to bleed the brakes yesterday evening and a leak started dripping from under the actuator. I guess I'll take it out and see if I can pinpoint where it's coming from.

11. Member
    Perfect, thanks. I attempted to bleed the brakes yesterday evening and a leak started dripping from under the actuator. I guess I'll take it out and see if I can pinpoint where it's coming from.
    Sounds like actuator time. It costs more than a master cylinder but it's easier to change.

Murky fluid, brake fluid loses it's properties after it has boiled a few times ( a few hard stops). Any rust in the master or lines and clog up a wheel cyl.

Since it it has been a few days----- update?

Complete actuator assembly should be here this week. Didn’t want to try and replace just one piece. Hopefully the caliper pistons aren’t too stuck next.

Replaced the entire actuator assembly this afternoon. Not a bad job, but now I've got another issue on my hands. So I fill the reservoir with brake fluid, loosen the farthest bleeder nipple and get to pumping the screw driver through the hole. I pump and pump and then all of a sudden fluid starts coming out of the front of my trailer - right about where both tubes come together at the front behind the tongue. So I'm guessing I have a leak in there somewhere...I'm not sure where to go from here.

It never ends.

Pulled the brake line out and it was so rusted it broke off in several pieces. Guess I'll be looking for a replacement.

16. Member
    Pulled the brake line out and it was so rusted it broke off in several pieces. Guess I'll be looking for a replacement.
    Good man. I'd venture since this line was rusted out you needed an actuator anyhow. If you can't get a pre made line you can make your own. I bought brake line and a double flare tool from Amazon, I've made several brake lines, they work perfectly. Here in the Northeast, brake lines rust through often, like the rear fenders on my 2007 Silverado on both sides.

Sorry to hear that. Welcome to the wonderful world of trailers. The good part is that once you’ve replaced everything your good to go for a long time. Then if you have a future problem you’ll know we’re to look. You will also be a trailer brake expert. You can’t put a price on knowledge.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Good man. I'd venture since this line was rusted out you needed an actuator anyhow. If you can't get a pre made line you can make your own. I bought brake line and a double flare tool from Amazon, I've made several brake lines, they work perfectly. Here in the Northeast, brake lines rust through often, like the rear fenders on my 2007 Silverado on both sides.
    I'm waiting for a replacement hose. I had similar issues on a two year old trailer. In the process of taking the actuator out I sheared the hose fitting on the back of the solenoid. My trailer has thermoplastic brake line. NO WAY I would use anything but this stuff and especially not steel brake line. You can find kits and individual hoses that would no doubt fit your arrangement no problem. Just google "thermplastic brake line." I ordered mine from Nuera Trailer Parts in TN.

Also, when you put everything back together, make sure you bleed the master cylinder before hooking the hoses up and bleeding from the back of the trailer. I don't thin you can hook everything back up and then bleed from the furthest bleeder and get a good bleed. Think you have to bleed the MC before hooking the hoses up.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Update. Replaced the main brake line with the expensive hose-type from etrailer.com. Bled the brakes twice and voila, I now have brakes!

20. Member
    TA-DAA!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast