Thread: Bill lowen

Bill lowen

Does bill lowen run the ultrex? Do you think it’s better than a Fortrex for a shallow running boat?

2. Member
    I have an Ultrex and it has changed the way I fish. I can’t imagine not having it now. Best thing I ever did was get it!

I've had two Ultrex trolling motors...The first time I switched back to the Fortrex and the second one will soon be out the door as well...

I watched a video of Jacob Wheeler comparing the two and I agree with him...If you like to fish shallow don't bother with the Ultrex...The Ultrex shines when fishing offshore...

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I've had two Ultrex trolling motors...The first time I switched back to the Fortrex and the second one will soon be out the door as well...

I watched a video of Jacob Wheeler comparing the two and I agree with him...If you like to fish shallow don't bother with the Ultrex...The Ultrex shines when fishing offshore...
    I don't understand that thinking. It works just as good as any other trolling motor in shallow water PLUS the ability to spot lock and retie, retrieve a hung up lure, eat a sandwich, or take a leak.

One shallow water feature the Ultrex has that no other TM that I've ever seen, is the ability to go backwards. I had a lure hung on a bush the other day. I was able to go right in...get the lure and back straight out. Get into a narrow creek or tight space between trees...just spin that motor around and back up. You couldn't pry my Ultrex from my cold dead hands.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I don't understand that thinking. It works just as good as any other trolling motor in shallow water PLUS the ability to spot lock and retie, retrieve a hung up lure, eat a sandwich, or take a leak.

One shallow water feature the Ultrex has that no other TM that I've ever seen, is the ability to go backwards. I had a lure hung on a bush the other day. I was able to go right in...get the lure and back straight out. Get into a narrow creek or tight space between trees...just spin that motor around and back up. You couldn't pry my Ultrex from my cold dead hands.
    I want one so bad, but its just so much dang money lol
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

It's much louder...The power steering is clunky/overly sensitive...The Fortrex has a shock/spring and the Ultrex doesn't...This helps in shallow water if you accidentally bump into stumps or what have you...The spot lock is a nice feature but from my experience I only use it when fishing offshore...I have power poles to keep me in place when fishing shallow...Lifting/deploying the Fortrex is much easier...The Ultrex is heavier and the list assist isn't quite beefy enough for the extra weight...There are also reports of the Ultrex slowing down top end speeds due to the extra weight at the bow.

It's a nice trolling motor and my opinions are definitely not popular...If you fish offshore a lot then by all means the spot lock is a must have...

7. Member
    I installed one on my X19. I would have gone with Poles but did not want any more weight on a already heavy rear load. I had terrible time with wind drifting this boat around. I lost about a 1mph on the top end from Four Trex I had before. I agree the noise level was louder than I imagined it being. The pedal does take some getting used to. But I am good with that. The benefit I saw last weekend fishing a windy tournament and hitting spot lock and being able to hold that position so two anglers could fish together was amazing. I could not have caught the amount of fish that we did off this spot and unhooked fish and retied etc in the amount of time we had left to fish. I honestly think we caught 1-2 more fish just being able to stay right there and not have to worry about getting blown off the spot and fighting the wind to get back up there. With that being said and I could have poles on the back and not end up raising the front of the boat up higher. I would go with poles still I think cause I mainly fish shallow where 12' poles would about always cover me. Just my opinion.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

Bill today on Kentucky Lake!

Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    It's much louder...The power steering is clunky/overly sensitive...The Fortrex has a shock/spring and the Ultrex doesn't...This helps in shallow water if you accidentally bump into stumps or what have you...The spot lock is a nice feature but from my experience I only use it when fishing offshore...I have power poles to keep me in place when fishing shallow...Lifting/deploying the Fortrex is much easier...The Ultrex is heavier and the list assist isn't quite beefy enough for the extra weight...There are also reports of the Ultrex slowing down top end speeds due to the extra weight at the bow.

It's a nice trolling motor and my opinions are definitely not popular...If you fish offshore a lot then by all means the spot lock is a must have...
    It doesn’t have to be offshore and poles won’t always get it done. I regularly fish areas where it goes from deep to shallow very quickly where you can sit in 15-25 feet and literally flip or pitch into 2-4 ft.
    I’m a big fan of my Ultrex.

10. Member
    Pretty well know around here I fish shallower than most others. First tournament I fished last June with my new Xpress/Ultrex I won fishing shallow flats with a frog dragging the boat along in 1-2' of water...I've caught numerous fish in water less than 2' since. If the sound of the prop spinning dosent scare a fish, our the sounds your boat makes displacing water, then the power steer noise isn't going to scare them either. Fish really aren't that smart...

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

11. Member
    I changed the Fortrex that came on my X19 to an Ulterra. Wasn't sure I was going to like it but the Auto Deploy and stow is great. I have it networked to my Helix 9 and can deploy and steer from the display. Also has power trim so GREAT for shallow water. Actually a little cheaper than the Ultrex. Most tournament guys like the direct foot pedal but once I got used to the electronic pedal, I'm fine with it.