Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I just received some heat shrink tubing in 3/8 and it seems awful big for a regular senko. Can you actually put enough heat on it when it's on a senko to shrink it to fit. I have also placed a order for some of the B10 stinger hooks and VMC Neko hooks. Now, I have to go find some nails to use as weights, the lead ones you buy area going to get expensive. I've messed around with it at my pond and it's really encouraging so far. If I can see a bass I can just about catch it. They just seem to attack it.

2. Member
    i use wacky jig more than weightless. covers more water quicker and the thing shakes on its way down big time, depending on weight of the wacky jig head. ive had way better luck with wacky jig than weightless. usually 4" senko type bait with 1/8 oz vmc wacky jig. meat hooked with oring they ast a lot longer

Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    I just received some heat shrink tubing in 3/8 and it seems awful big for a regular senko. Can you actually put enough heat on it when it's on a senko to shrink it to fit. I have also placed a order for some of the B10 stinger hooks and VMC Neko hooks. Now, I have to go find some nails to use as weights, the lead ones you buy area going to get expensive. I've messed around with it at my pond and it's really encouraging so far. If I can see a bass I can just about catch it. They just seem to attack it.
    It'll definitely shrink down to that size. I wonder, though, if all 3/8 heat shrink isn't equal. The stuff I have is definitely a little loose, but I'd never say it seems big on a regular senko. Strange!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    I've fished the heck out of whacky rigged Senkos the last several years. I have more confidence in those than anything.

I used Gamakatsu whacky rig hooks for a long time. I fished more last year than the last 4 years combined probably (my neighbor bought a bass boat). I noticed I was losing a lot of bass. I tried different sizes of the Gamakatsus, but it didn't help.

I went looking for a new hook this year.

I tried the VMC and have been thrilled. My hook sets have been much better. Night and day difference.
    You can still use Gamakatsu if that’s what you like. B10s stinger

5. Member
    Do the vmc weedless neko hooks with the mono weedguard on it work as good as the one linked? I like to fish whacky worms around grass.

6. Member
    I dont do much wacky fishing but reading this thread really makes me want to start.
    What kind of setups are you fishing this with? Baitcaster, spinning, etc

7. Banned
    Heat shrink is gold....easier to use and itll save the bait longer........

The one thing I wanna mention.....since i learned this out on the water when I reached for the wacky rig stuff to throw. If you live in a desert/hot climate...DO NOT LEAVE them outside, in the boat or anywhere theyll stay exposed to the heat for long periods of time. I had all my precut heat shrink tubes shrink on me, making them unusable! who wouldve figured heat shrink tubing would shrink in the heat!!!! LMAO

Also...go buy them at harbor freight. they have a multipack for $5 ($4 if youre cheap like me and use the 20% off coupon). youll get plenty of the ones you need for wacky rigging...plus for about the same price as a single pack from home depot youll have extra heat shrink tubing which never hurts. I use the smallest ones in the pack to make "flipping hooks" and save money there too. Just bought some owner and damiki straght shank hooks for 3 and 4 bucks, that im turning into flipping style hooks for texas rigging.....you can even do a "grip pin" with heat shrink and a paperclip if you want your flipping hooks that style. I just go with the heat shrink cuz it hardens up nicely after cooling down.
    Last edited by FishInTheDesert; 05-16-2018 at 12:47 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 17z20 View Post
    I dont do much wacky fishing but reading this thread really makes me want to start.
    What kind of setups are you fishing this with? Baitcaster, spinning, etc
    I always throw my wacky rig on spinning. Now a weightless Texas rigged senko I use a baitcaster

9. Member
    Thanks for all the replies and help guys. I've been fishing it a little everyday at our pond getting the feel and a little confidence in it. So far I'm using a smaller hook with a four inch yum dinger. I'm missing some fish and I'm still trying to figure out just how to set the hook. I do catch fish on a drop shot so I've been trying to set the hook like that. I'm trying to just pull the hook in them instead of trying to cross their eyes. I do see a time and place that the Neko rig will come in handy. Now I need another spinning rod. Oh boy! How many of you are using it with a trick worm or something similar.

I almost always use a Trick Worm for the Neko. I’ve experimented with other things, but keep coming back to the Trick Worm.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    what size of the VMC hooks is everone using for a normal senko, and a trick worm??

12. Member
    Not a expert (yet) but I've pretty much settled on the #1 VMC or B10 Stinger by Gamakatsu. I do have some #2 on order just to see. They may or may not be better on a thinner bait like a trick worm. I'll just have to wait and see when they come in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12