Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY homemade mooring whips

Decided to make a simple pair of mooring whips (similar to dock sticks), using easy to obtain materials:
    (2) 3/4" x 18" Schedule 80 PVC pipe
    (2) 3/8" x 48" bungee cords with hook ends
    (4) 1" rubber chair leg tips/protectors
    (2) 1" x 18" foam pipe insulation
    Total cost was about $10 for materials.

I cut the pvc pipes to length, then used an X-acto to chamfer the inside edges.
    Also cut holes in the rubber chair leg tips with the knife.
    Insert one chair tip over the doubled-up bungee, slide the bungee through the PVC pipe, and through the other chair tip. Done!

I added a couple pieces of foam pipe insulation, thinking it will help prevent scuffing the fiberglass.
    Haven't tried it out yet, but seems pretty easy to deploy and stow!

Note: I'd go with longer bungees, maybe 54" if available.

2. Member
    Neat idea.

4. Member
    You made my day Cajun Man! Just in time for a weekend of dock mooring in WI!
    Last edited by Wormdunker; 04-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Nice!!!

excellent! hell of a lot cheaper than the dock stixs
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

8. Mike Lamb
    do you have picture of this?
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

9. Member
    Using similar materials to Casting Call, I made this set. I went to 20" long with 50" - 3/8 bungee. I used PVC caps in which I drilled the center out. I coated the boat end with 2 coats of Dip it. I replaced the D Ring with a piece of cable and crimp.

My review, they work great. They do what they are supposed to do. The boat stays safely away from the dock. They are a bit difficult to install on the dock in the photos. Primarily due to limited space between the tire, dock and pipe. Also I think it would be best to increase the bungee to about 53-54" in length and move the D ring farther up the PVS. Considering the cable and crimps were a very easy to create/install I think I may add one or two more to accommodate different dock/pipe configurations.

Nicely done!
    Can you snap a pic of the cable and crimp D-ring setup?
    I ended up bending a couple old peg board hooks into D-rings. Will also be looking for longer bungees. My son is also going to braid a couple paracord pulls on the cleat end of the bungee, to make it easier to get on the cleat without pinching fingers.

D-rings:

11. Member
    Here you go. You can see how easy it would be to just add a couple an inch either side of this one to accommodate different post/dock situations.

And full disclosure the Dip it idea... It didn't survive the weekend. I did sand the pipe prior to dipping but I did not rough up the cap. either way it did not withstand the rubbing.

I could see paracord pulls being a good idea for the bungee hooks as well.

12. Member
    just bought the stuff at lunch time to make these. I keep my boat on a dock several weeks a year and these should help a ton! thanks for the great idea.

13. Member
    Do any of you guys have a picture of how the side with the bungee hooks connect to a cleat? I assume you wrap the bungees around the cleat and then hook the ends to the D ring, is this right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    Do any of you guys have a picture of how the side with the bungee hooks connect to a cleat? I assume you wrap the bungees around the cleat and then hook the ends to the D ring, is this right?
    I haven't used mine yet, but yes. That's how I tested it on my boat cleat and it worked. Having longer bungees would allow more material to wrap around the cleat a couple times I think.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I haven't used mine yet, but yes. That's how I tested it on my boat cleat and it worked. Having longer bungees would allow more material to wrap around the cleat a couple times I think.
    Thanks for the reply. I bought the PVC, pipe insulation, and rubber chair leg ends yesterday but wasn't happy with the bungees at Home Depot so I am going to try Harbor Freight today. Have you considered using rope instead of bungee? I see the advantage of bungee for ease of use but curious if anyone has used rope. A good bungee should work fine but may only last a few seasons depending on how much it is used.

I think the dynamics of the bungee are what makes these work. Rope wouldn't snug the whip to the boat or dock, which is key to keep the contraption from getting beat to death.
    I can't find bungees longer than 48" locally, but I think Ace Hardware may sell shock cord by the foot. Going to check them out at lunch today and see if it's high quality stuff.

edit: If the bungee even lasts one season, its cheap to replace when it starts to wear.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I think the dynamics of the bungee are what makes these work. Rope wouldn't snug the whip to the boat or dock, which is key to keep the contraption from getting beat to death.
    I can't find bungees longer than 48" locally, but I think Ace Hardware may sell shock cord by the foot. Going to check them out at lunch today and see if it's high quality stuff.

edit: If the bungee even lasts one season, its cheap to replace when it starts to wear.
    Ok, that makes sense about how the rope wouldn't work right. I am on the hunt for some longer bungees as well. Looking forward to testing these out thanks for the idea!!

Does anyone have a review of whether these seem more protective compared to the traditional buoy styles?

Thanks!

very impressive you guys!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

20. Member
    I can tell you that the boat stays away from the dock.

I bought bulk 3/8 shock cord from the local ACE hardware store. They also sell hooks. I did not use a knot to secure my shock cord in the bungee hook. I pushed the cord through the hook then through a star locking washer. Next I melted the ends of the cord so they mushroomed out to a larger diameter. I snugged the mushroom down on the washer. Last I mixed 2 part epoxy and epoxied the cord into the hook, I also epoxied into the water/cord union.

Result is a far cleaner look but also no knot taking up space in the hook. Yes it is overkill but I had all the stuff so I thought what the heck, give it a try. It works. a knot would work too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast