Minn Kota Maxxum

My Maxxum seems to not want to lock anymore when deployed if I turn speed over 70 the whole motor raises out of water what do I need to look for to fix it. TIA.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Look at where the pins engage the mount. Broken pins, twisted mount or lack of grease are good guesses.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Look at where the pins engage the mount. Broken pins, twisted mount or lack of grease are good guesses.
    Would the spring at the top of the locking shaft have anything to do with it seems to not be any resistance the locking shaft just kind of moves a little.

4. Member
    The locking shaft set up is rod with a spring attached and two pins. If there is no resistance, there is a reason. you start by checking and make sure the lock slide pins are still attached to the rod. This would be the rod the rope is tied to.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    I have been having a similar issue with my Maxxum motor. It appears that the plastic Y-shaped yoke that supports the shaft when stowed seems to be spread out too wide to fit into the recess that it goes into when the motor is deployed. This was keeping the lock slide pins from locking, as the motor was not able to sit all the way down on the bracket. I was able to squeeze the arms of the yoke together and get it to fit. Not sure if I need to replace the yoke or not, and intend to play around a little more with it to see if there is some other issue. You may want to check to see if you are having the same issue.

Good luck!
    1995 Ranger 482VS
    Evinrude Intruder 150