DT75 shift shaft to clutch shaft connection

Hello all,
    New to Suzuki forum but not to other forums.
    I replaced the water pump on this motor and also had to cut access hole to install grommet on starboard side to easily access clutch shaft nut.
    lower unit is back on motor, how does one align the shift rod hole with the clutch shaft pin? the two pieces are nearly invisible under the carburetor.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Be Well
    rcb130

DT75 1988
    S/N 07501810274

2. Member
    has no one put a water pump in their motor. Seems like a lot of them are overdue for overheating and maybe even worse.
    Has no one done this? Help!
    Thanks
    rcb130

It may be a bit before someone with the knowledge you seek is available to answer. In the meantime, do you have a service manual? I would highly recommend it. I do not mean that to be snarky, just the facts. I have done water pumps on many bigger motors, but never on a Suzuki. I did my 65 hp Mercury a couple of times in the two years I owned it. I didn't have to disconnect the shift shaft up at the carbs at the motor. I loosened the bolts required to drop the lower unit. While holding the lower unit after it dropped enough, I disconnected the water line (tube) that goes to the speedo, then dropped the lower unit out. I don't know if Suzuki is the same, but on the Mercury units, the shift linkage shaft that runs from the motor, down through the exhaust housing, has female splines on the end down where it connects to male splines on the shift shaft on the lower unit. I hope this helps.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

4. Member
    eliteangler,
    Thanks for the reply. I do have a factory shop manual and the instructions given there are leaving a lot to be desired. I am not able to keep the shift rod in gear when installing the lower unit. The passage for the shift shaft is tight to say the least and If I have the shift rod extended all the way up, It is pushed down when I install the gearcase. I have tried silicon spray on the shift rod, holding it with pliers until I am ready to seat the lower unit and still it slips back down. this arrangement has good thought behind it but more instructions are needed to change it out.
    Be Well
    rcb130

Can you snap a photo of where the shaft is slipping back down? PM me for my email and you can email the pic to me, unless you can post it here, which would be much more helpful.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X