Thread: Need advice

Need advice

Planning on getting my grandson a tandem kayak as a high school graduation present. It will be a surprise so I’m getting no input from him, plus he knows virtually nothing about them anyway. I don’t know anything about them either that’s why I’m looking for input from you folks.

He enjoys fishing but really prefers spear fishing in our local salt water. Plan on getting him a tandem model as he usually goes with his slightly younger brother or a good friend.

The wife and I went to four local shops today but I feel certain they are simply trying to sell me what they carry.

Can anybody give me some input as to manufacturer/model ? Looking for negatives as well as positives.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

A couple of thoughts come to mind ...

How much does the tandem weigh ? In the event he fishes alone, would he be able to handle it/row it alone ? If not, he'd be limited to only using it when someone else is available. Part of the allure of a kayak for fishing (at least it was to me) is the ability to load up and go when I wanted to.

As for the spear fishing, of which I have zero experience, would that even be safely doable with another person in such close proximity ?

Are the tandems sit on tops or sit ins ? ... Sit on tops are generally more fisherman friendly. It's not impossible to fish from a sit in, but there's several good reasons that the vast majority of fishing kayaks are SOT's, the main one being equipment storage/access. What little I've seen of tandem yaks is more of a sightseeing/leisure application.
    Ranting incoherently

3. Member
    The weight is not an issue. The models I’ve looked at are reasonably light. Looking at sit on tops only. Safety should not be an issue. He usually goes with a friend and or his brother now. Right now they simply swim out from shore. Very rarely over waist deep. The kayak will expand their range to rock piles/reefs that are a few hundred yards out. Still not too deep but a little too far to just swim.

He always goes with someone and I am trying to encourage that by getting the tandem model. Admittedly he could remove one of the seats and go solo but he is a very responsible and safety conscientious 18 year old.

I know he has a ball with this spearfishing, spearing mullet, sheepshead, triggerfish, etc. Fortunately we are in Florida and he can do this almost year round. With a wet suit he has tried it in the coldest months but keep in mind we are native Floridians, generations 5 and 7 and don’t take to cold weather/water very well. The heat we handle, the cold - not so much.

Thanks for the response.

I think any of them are probably going to be great if you stay with the big name brands like Native (I'm partial), Hobie, Jackson, etc I think you'll be fine. For an 18 year old using it to spearfish from I'd probably look for the most available space to be able to customize. Whether that's rod/gun/spear holder or open space for coolers. At 18 the less locked in he is the easier it will be to add the stuff he needs versus what the manufacturer thinks he needs.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

The Big Tuna is a very nice Yak that converts from a tandem to a single.