Talons Whistling

Anybody else have this problem? At any speed over 50 mph my talons whistle and at 70 mph is it almost deafening. I have tried taping the channels, and also tried covering the cap with tap, but nothing seems to help. When I swivel them down on the deck the sound goes away, so I know it's coming from the Talons somewhere. These are 2018 15' Talons.

Thanks

2. Member
    Red, I recently bought a new boat and put two 12' Bluetooth Talons on it. I heard a whistle during break in and I thought it was an alarm or something. Come to find out it was the Talons because when I laid them, down like you did, the whistle stopped. Its a very loud whistle when your going fast. I've decided to just lay them down until I need them.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

3. Member
    Please call Minn Kota service. 1-800-227-6433

You are not alone, but when I spoke with Minn Kota they told me it's not a problem anyone else has. I find that hard to believe!

When you are going 70+ mph into a head wind it is crazy loud.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfishin View Post
    Please call Minn Kota service. 1-800-227-6433

You are not alone, but when I spoke with Minn Kota they told me it's not a problem anyone else has. I find that hard to believe!

When you are going 70+ mph into a head wind it is crazy loud.
    I don't have the whistle issue with mine but they squeal like crazy when going up or down it sounds like a screw scraping but I don't see any scratches. I'm not liking all these issues with the new ones. I had an older set for 3 years and never a single issue.
    2016 Legend V20 DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    SN #2B124385 Model #1251P73BD.
    12" Bobs hydraulic JP
    68 gps, tourney loaded, full gear, full tank.
    Croxton worked 3 blade 24P fury, 0 plugs.
    Seastar Teleflex Pro Hydraulic steering.
    (2) BT 10' white Talons.
    Merc monitor.
    MK Ultrex 112lb 36v TM.
    Dual Lowrance HDS 9 touch gen3 at console.
    Single Lowrance HDS 12 touch gen3 at bow.
    LSS2 transducer

5. Member
    Fixed!

In the box are some channel covers. I installed mine on the bottom to hold the wires into the channel and cover them up. I have more channel covers on order, but in the meantime I took extra wide black electrical tape and covered the channels on the top portion of the Talons and the whistling went away!

6. Member
    Where did you order the channel covers?

7. Banned
    Maybe MinnKota will send out the channel covering strips to all registered customers?
    That would be a nice customer service gesture.

8. Member
    I ordered them through my certified humminbird service centre. I expect no charge, but we will see. My advice it for people to install the channel covers that come with the units on the top section, none on the bottom.

9. Member
    I called Minn Kota told me they don't have any covers. Where are y'all getting them?

10. Member
    You can look at the parts diagram on their site and get some. Around $13 a set I think

11. Member
    Extra wide electrical tape also works, and looks fine.