225 efi breakin process

Have a newly rebuilt 98 mercury 225 efi that I am needing the break in procedure to print off and take with me the one in the sticky is for 200 opt Imax will this be the same

2. Member
    I think the procedure is pretty much the same.

Except that you will need to double oil during the break in by mixing oil in the gas tank.

The Opti's double oil automatically during break in process.

Might get better answers if you share your serial number, I am sure they cover it extensively in the service manual.

3. Member
    Thank you i don't have a manual though

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see Forum Announcements for Required Info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Think this is it 0g694257

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Essentially the same as the Optimax, except that you will usually mix the first 20-24 gallons of fuel at 100:1 ratio (in addition to the oil injection).

Since this is likely a REBUILT engine/powerhead, I would STRONGLY recommend following the instructions of the BUILDER (since they will, after all, be the one you deal with if a problem arises).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you they told me to use the mercury site break in procedure but can not find there instructions have emailed them no response yet any help here need to get on the lake .

8. Member
    mix it 50/1 with fuel keep mtr trim to lower level for increased load vary throttle settings , no prolonged idle,run at 35-4500 mostly for first hour
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Mixed 100\1 ran 1 hr 2800 up to 3800 mixing it up every 10 min what is the second half consist of and can I fish in between running

10. Member
    no no fishing wyyy sure you can,
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Should have loaded up fish ing gear lake too trashy to do the break in for about 50 min so that's 2 hrs I've put on it getting low on gas is it ok to run with out mixing oil in tank again it is use oil out of reservoir and can I bump up to 5000 rpm run too speed thanks