Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctjoe View Post
    is there a big difference between that and the pro 170 ?
    The Grizzly 1754 is larger. But it is not as refined as the 170. With carpet and more storage. But for a boat that can fish, duck hunt, cast net for shrimp. In the same day. Then hose it out at the end of the day. You can’t beat it.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

2. Member
    "Limited in size... around 20' and around 84"." If you're limited in size you should have more exact dimensions than just "around." Don't purchase a boat/motor/trailer without knowing the exact dimensions you are limited to.

Do you want a tiller steered boat (provides more interior room) or a console steered boat? Interior features?

State to yourself the features you want in this boat. Then, look at the different manufacturers and their products plus your local dealers.

I think you are confused with these two terms you mentioned: "mod-v and v-hull." Both are v-hulls but do you know the meaning of each term, i.e., the difference with each? Remember, you are working with only a 16'-17' freshwater boat, not a larger CT salt water boat. A V-hull that you mentioned is generally thought of as a Deep V hull which has a much greater "V" than a mod (modified) V hull. A 16'-17' aluminum boat has very little "v" in the hull. (Note, the V is always measured at the transom and not at the bow of any boat).

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tide View Post
    "Limited in size... around 20' and around 84"." If you're limited in size you should have more exact dimensions than just "around." Don't purchase a boat/motor/trailer without knowing the exact dimensions you are limited to.

Do you want a tiller steered boat (provides more interior room) or a console steered boat? Interior features?

State to yourself the features you want in this boat. Then, look at the different manufacturers and their products plus your local dealers.

I think you are confused with these two terms you mentioned: "mod-v and v-hull." Both are v-hulls but do you know the meaning of each term, i.e., the difference with each? Remember, you are working with only a 16'-17' freshwater boat, not a larger CT salt water boat. A V-hull that you mentioned is generally thought of as a Deep V hull which has a much greater "V" than a mod (modified) V hull. A 16'-17' aluminum boat has very little "v" in the hull. (Note, the V is always measured at the transom and not at the bow of any boat).

I fished a deep v boat for about 10 years of the cape cod coast. I also had a modified v 16 with a 60 on it back in the 90’s. As one member said, Candlewood lake gets a lot of boat traffic creating a chop. There are some videos out there reviewing some mod v boats and one is on Lake Michigan. I hear that the tracker 175 is descent in small chop. Was looking for I put on boat owners who have similar boats. I mentioned 2 boats in my post, both are side console boats, so that is what I am seeking thoughts on.

4. Member
    I've had my Pro 170 for 3 years now and I like it a lot. 2 guys can fish out of it nicely. My only problem is where I live here in Pa. is the main lake I fish you can only run a 20hp. Buy myself loaded I get 21mph.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plastics man View Post
    I've had my Pro 170 for 3 years now and I like it a lot. 2 guys can fish out of it nicely. My only problem is where I live here in Pa. is the main lake I fish you can only run a 20hp. Buy myself loaded I get 21mph.
    Does the lake get much chop or waves? Wondering how it handles that. There a video of a guy who takes his out on Lake Michigan. Scary as hell but it handles the rolling waves ok

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctjoe View Post
    Have you fished with it yet? If so, can you tell me about your experience. Speed, ride,planing and was it stable off the bow when fishing.
    Thanks

Ok.. Took it out this past weekend and drove it around for 2 hours. Fastest I went was about 18mph (was just doing break-in), didn't fish at all (season opens this coming Saturday). There were a few other boats out running around, blowing out their fog from storage, breaking in outboards, and just tooling about. The lake had 12-18" rollers on it from the recreational traffic. Boat handled great, rocking was minimal, not at all uncomfortable or worrisome.

For opening weekend we are going to hit some small pothole lakes that won't be overrun with other fisherman. Even on a day with 50+ MPH winds, they are so small and heavily wooded that you wouldn't get more than some minor ripples on the surface of the water. LOL

In any event, it performed great, was dry as a bone when I pulled the plug. The ride could have been a bit drier (some spray blew up over the gunwales from the wind), but overall nothing worth complaining about. I'm sure it'll be better when I'm going faster anyway, so no worries.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tide View Post

For the record, this 'V' you mention is referred to as deadrise. The higher the number, the "deeper the V". I only mention it because I had no idea what deadrise was and learned when I was shopping a few months ago.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    For the record, this 'V' you mention is referred to as deadrise. The higher the number, the "deeper the V". I only mention it because I had no idea what deadrise was and learned when I was shopping a few months ago.

OK thanks how did you make out with your looking for a boat

9. Member
    l would suggest you visit a few local dealerships regarding Alumacraft and Tracker boats.
    Time for some first hand knowledge, demo rides (maybe), viewings (maybe).
    Locally, try: Guilford Boat Yards (Guilford, CT) and Bass Pro (Bridgeport, CT).

10. Member
    Yea I think it handles rough water pretty good. had it on the Susquehanna River 2 years ago in 3 to 4ft of chop on a very windy day with current rolling

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plastics man View Post
    Yea I think it handles rough water pretty good. had it on the Susquehanna River 2 years ago in 3 to 4ft of chop on a very windy day with current rolling
    I was riding shotgun on this trip and it was bad but the Tracker handled it well for no bigger than they are. For the money they’re a nice ride
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...Phil 4:13

12. Member
    Thanks

13. Member
    Assuming you’re talking about Candlewood, I saw a new Tracker Heritage tied to someone’s dock today. Same dimensions as the 170. Didn’t see the owner so I didn’t get a chance to ask how it performs.

14. Member
    Check out Crestliner Retriever 1760 or 1660 side console. I have the 1660 SC. Got carpet installed in the bow. Wide boat for a 16 footer which makes it very stable. Bottom width 60", beam 85".

15. Member
    Don't know if it would squeeze in for you, but the Lund Renegade bass boat, which has the best layout of any 17ft class tin bass boat for my taste, has a package length of 20'4" and 7'6" wide according to their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelly View Post
    Don't know if it would squeeze in for you, but the Lund Renegade bass boat, which has the best layout of any 17ft class tin bass boat for my taste, has a package length of 20'4" and 7'6" wide according to their website.
    Not sure what site you're on.....

https://www.lundboats.com/boat-series/renegade/

17. Member
    BOAT / MOTOR / TRAILER

20' 4"Length
    5' 4"Height
    7' 6"Width
    2322 lbs lbs (SS)
    Towing Weight

From their website. Though I must admit, it's a good trick when the boat is 8ft wide

18. Member
    Too wide. Lowe has a 17’ that works. Also going to see what the package length of the prowler 175 is. I think the Alumacraft cs165 may make it but I hear v style not as stable as the mod v. I think I am going to research this year and be ready for next year.

Joe, Alumacraft over the Tracker any day. My recommendation is a G3. I've had two of them and they were awesome. Never a problem with either boat.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

20. Member
    Just curious how you are like the 165 with yammy70? Also stability fishing from bow with boat traffic. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12