Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for 16-17’ recommendations

1st of all, hello from Ct. new to the forum. Use to have a16 Lowe with 60 on it many moons ago. Now looking to get back to bass fishing as motorcycle riding is harder with age. Unfortunately I am limited in boat size due to size of garage. Looking at a package length of around 20’ with a width of around84”. Fishing a large lake with boat traffic so you get a nice chop on it. I see that the Alumacraft prowler 16 and the tracker pro 17 would fit, and thoughts or ideas? I would figure that mod v vs a v Hull would be more stable fishing, yet rougher riding

thanks

2. Member
    Those sound like fine boats. Pick the one that fits you best. Then go fish.

I would look around at some local dealers to see what they offer. Lots of good choices to pick from. Check several out in person and see what you like the best and what fits your garage. Take a tape measure.

Are the Pro 17 and the TXW 175 the same lenght?
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Are the Pro 17 and the TXW 175 the same lenght?
    the width is the killer form me. I was wondering if the hulls are the same design on tracker 2 models? Comfort ride(revolution hull) on 175 don’t know about pro 170. Also any idea how Alumacraft design is on prowler and pro series, I know it’s wider but that doesn’t make it better in chop
    Last edited by Ctjoe; 04-28-2018 at 05:04 PM.

6. Member
    I've always based my decision on the local dealer.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

If you have an Xpress dealer anywhere close they make a 16 foot and a 17 bass boat that might fit your needs. The length is about 20'9".... You might could get a swing away trailer hitch and reduce that. They make a nice boat and usually come with Yamaha motors. I would look at them. The beam would probably be OK too.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

8. Member
    I bought an alumacraft classic 165cs last month with a Yamaha 70 4 stroke. With the swing tongue, it fits in my garage with just enough room for me to walk around the front of it. Prop is about 2" from the wall.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    I bought an alumacraft classic 165cs last month with a Yamaha 70 4 stroke. With the swing tongue, it fits in my garage with just enough room for me to walk around the front of it. Prop is about 2" from the wall.
    Have you fished with it yet? If so, can you tell me about your experience. Speed, ride,planing and was it stable off the bow when fishing.
    Thanks

10. Member
    The Pro 170 is 16' 8" and the 175 is 17'7"

Quote Originally Posted by plastics man View Post
    The Pro 170 is 16' 8" and the 175 is 17'7"
    Dose the 170 trailer have a folding tounge?
    I think the 175 dose and that would knock @ 18" off the storage length.

12. Member
    The 170 does have a folding tongue

Quote Originally Posted by plastics man View Post
    The 170 does have a folding tongue
    wasnt sure if it did or not

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctjoe View Post
    Have you fished with it yet? If so, can you tell me about your experience. Speed, ride,planing and was it stable off the bow when fishing.
    Thanks
    I have not yet, no. I'm in Wisconsin - 2 hours north of me there was still 3 feet of ice on the lakes last weekend. Down by me, some lakes are clear, some still have floes. I'm mounting transducers this morning and taking it to the lake to break in the outboard and do the ulterra calibration. Next weekend is opening day, so I hope to have more info for you then. If memory serves, it's 16'5" with an 84 or 85" beam. According to the specs, top speed will be somewhere around 33mph, which is plenty for me. I already had boats that could do 70, I just wanted something more utilitarian this time around.

Look at the Xpress X17 Pro or H17. My previous boat was an H17 with a 90 Yamaha. That thing would flat out fly for a boat with that HP. Excellent boat back then, and the quality has gotten better.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Look at the Xpress X17 Pro or H17. My previous boat was an H17 with a 90 Yamaha. That thing would flat out fly for a boat with that HP. Excellent boat back then, and the quality has gotten better.
    I think the beam and package width is too wide for my condo garage

17. Member
    I don't think any manufacturer puts out junk anymore. Yes some are of better quality than others, but that is usually reflected in the price. Let your final decision be based on the quality of the dealer. Having the best boat in the world matters little if the dealer you got it from is a wanker.

18. Member
    Last fall I sold my 2004 TR21X and purchased a 1754 side console Grizzly Tracker. 17' long, 78" beam, with a 60 hp Mercury Four Stroke. Happy with the ride, big enough for me, nice front deck and runs 37 mph at 6000 rpm. All I need. And its camo! Whoohoo!:)

Quote Originally Posted by DUBBLMAXX View Post
    Last fall I sold my 2004 TR21X and purchased a 1754 side console Grizzly Tracker. 17' long, 78" beam, with a 60 hp Mercury Four Stroke. Happy with the ride, big enough for me, nice front deck and runs 37 mph at 6000 rpm. All I need. And its camo! Whoohoo!:)
    Those 1754 are spacious for their size. They carry there beam much father to the bow then my 06 175tx does. Ott Defoe has one on utube. That he customized with a tunnel and a jack sky high prop 60 hp motor on. I drool every time I see it.lol

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBBLMAXX View Post
    is there a big difference between that and the pro 170 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast