Handle shortening

I have a casting rod that has WAY too much rear grip. I’d like to get it cut down some but, as it is tapered, just cutting it off is not a great option. Thinking buying a new shorter rear grip is the way to go and cutting with an arrow saw? How hard is it to install from the butt end? Use arbors/tape? Never done anything like this before.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cfrench085; 04-28-2018 at 09:42 AM.

2. Member
    Why not cut the burl cork from the end, shorten handle, then glue burl back on. May have a little sanding if the diameters are different.

3. Member
    Easy fix.
    Cut off 2" of the butt then drill the rod out of the cork. Now cut off what you dont want of the handle (saving 1.75 of the handle) cut the cork only,, not thru the rod,, then glue the butt on.
    I do my jerk baits rods this way. Handle keeps getting inside the coat pocket

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Easy fix.
    Cut off 2" of the butt then drill the rod out of the cork. Now cut off what you dont want of the handle (saving 1.75 of the handle) cut the cork only,, not thru the rod,, then glue the butt on.
    I do my jerk baits rods this way. Handle keeps getting inside the coat pocket
    Great idea on the drill. I was trying to figure out this method and saving the butt contour but still wonder best way to get flush cut on cork without cutting rod blank... razor blade? Careful use of arrow saw? Hobby saw? Does the blank left in the butt drill easily? Drilling a hard substance from a soft one?
    Last edited by Cfrench085; 04-28-2018 at 03:15 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dogdare View Post
    Why not cut the burl cork from the end, shorten handle, then glue burl back on. May have a little sanding if the diameters are different.
    Think there is a tenon it sits on. If I just flush cut cap off won’t be as strong when reattached.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfrench085 View Post
    Great idea on the drill. I was trying to figure out this method and saving the butt contour but still wonder best way to get flush cut on cork without cutting rod blank... razor blade? Careful use of arrow saw? Hobby saw? Does the blank left in the butt drill easily? Drilling a hard substance from a soft one?
    1. Might use a little sanding when complete to be flush.
    2. New Hacksaw blade works fine, just take your time.
    3. Yes drills easy, just be sure not to use a bit larger than the rod blank. Take your time with it and you'll be fine. Watch you fingers and drill slowly. Sometimes the blank just spins out, depends of how much glue they used.
    Take your time and it should butt perfect.

epoxy glue 5 min / 1 hour sit style?