Puma FTD - Man I love this boat.

So I have her all loaded up for the maiden voyage tomorrow morning.

So far I am supper impressed with this boat. I loved my PII and it was all the boat I needed, but this just may be all the boat I'll ever want.

I need to make a trip to BassPro........... I loaded up all my gear and still have empty compartments.....

Put 20 rods in the rod locker and there is room for at least 10 more.

The only issue I have seen is putting fuel in it. What's the deal? It was a PITA to put gas in, the pump kept clicking off. Of Course i had an over fill gas fountain spray at me on each tank.

What's the trick to gassing these twin tanks up?

I'll report back after I run her in the morning.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

2. Member
    Best bet is try turning the pump handle to where it faces the back of the boat (backwards from where your standing) and generally you dont need to put it all the down the spout.

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Best bet is try turning the pump handle to where it faces the back of the boat (backwards from where your standing) and generally you dont need to put it all the down the spout.
    Thanks, i'll give it a try. There full now
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

4. Member
    You will have to experiment, my Puma fills best with the pump handle facing the sides of the boat.

5. Member
    Mine does better with gas nozzles all the way in and the handle facing toward the middle of the boat. Thank the EPA for this.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Mine does better with gas nozzles all the way in and the handle facing toward the middle of the boat. Thank the EPA for this.
    My truck doesn't have issues topping off and I assume that is designed based on the same regulations..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Ok have it out on the water......water is this thing different than my PII

The PII jumped on pad and was so easy to drive you could use your pinky fingers.

So far it's obvious this is my first 250 / 20 foot boat. The bow lift is incredible, taking a little longer to get on plain than I expected. However both tanks are full.

cant get it to run over 70 yet. Need seat time and to figure preferred trim / jack plate settings.

Starts walking much much faster than my PII.

The storage and over room in the boat is insane.

gonna love it more once I learn to drive it.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

8. Member
    Mine changes every day. But I find it fills rather easy compared to other boats I’ve had. And yes mine will overflow if your not ear to the hose listening carefully for the gurgle. It seem to be my challenge as I never get a rag ready before hand. And I’m still 50/50 on success.
    easy to get excited about the puma, your going to like it more and more. Y’all know how much I love mine

bet we don’t get any fish pictures from you for a while. You’ll be just driving it around a lot! Burning gas and getting seat time. Lol
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

It took me a couple of times to get it “right” when I switched from a PII to my Cougar. My son was the same. My PII really didn’t chine walk much at all and seemed to be slower in oscillation but was ALWAYS there at top speed. The Cougar starts oscillating faster but ends about 75 then the whole boat lifts up and then you can get back to driving with your pinky again.

I have an Atlas JP and generally best speed is 4-5. When I was learning to run it, I would set it on 4 at launch and leave it.

I have to put the fuel handle towards the bow and never use the presets. I just hold it. I can never do full blast either. I normally use close to where the slower notch is...if that makes sense.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've had 4 BassCats. It seems it definitely does take some experimenting to be able to fill the gas tanks easily. I had to use a different method to fill the tanks on each boat. There is a way to do it on your Puma, you just have to find it.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Mine changes every day. But I find it fills rather easy compared to other boats I’ve had. And yes mine will overflow if your not ear to the hose listening carefully for the gurgle. It seem to be my challenge as I never get a rag ready before hand. And I’m still 50/50 on success.
    easy to get excited about the puma, your going to like it more and more. Y’all know how much I love mine

bet we don’t get any fish pictures from you for a while. You’ll be just driving it around a lot! Burning gas and getting seat time. Lol

you right about that. Lol

i have some old pics I could share
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Thanks for the tips on fueling. No issues when i reversed handle.

well day one with the Puma was a smashing success. What a fantastic Machine!

got the family going out Sunday to run the river and have lunch
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

As for the chine walking, check your prop to pad measurement. My boat was setup at 4.75" below pad, and would start chine walking at 66. No amount of seat time was going to conquer the chine walk, although the hole shot was fantastic. IIRC I settled in around 2.5-2.75" below pad, and no chine walk until 73mph.