g2 vs mercury four stroke 225

So the new 225 four stroke was announced in Feb... its almost May, why have we not seen a performance report or comparison between the 225 G2 and the 225 mercury four stroke. I would like to see the torque and hp figures and options. It appears that the iTrim feature on the G2's is not standard on the new four strokes. I know the G2 2 stroke will be stronger, but just how close does the new 225 four stroke come? Would also like to see an emissions report from the new 225 four stroke. The G2 is the best-in-class, again would like to see how close the new four stroke comes. Poptimaxtm is obsolete now. The new four stroke is 25lbs lighter and also quieter than the G2 we know for a fact.
    Last edited by hurky509; 04-27-2018 at 09:48 AM.

2. Banned
    I don't know about the power, but I saw and heard the new 225 4 stroke Merc. You can't even tell it's running at idle except for the water stream coming out the back. It's that quiet. It was also very quiet when taking off and running. Saw it on a new Triton 19 TRX. I asked the owner how it ran, but he couldn't answer since we was still in break in with only an hour on it.

I'd like to get some seat time with one though. The 225 G2 is a beastly motor.

I am especially interested in this too, especially on a bass or other performance boat. We will be re-powering our Project Activator soon. I don't like the idea of the V8 for less than 250 HP.

They are dead silent that's for sure:

4. Member
    Anybody have a confirmed weight on the 200 or 225? The weight they provide in documentation is for the "lightest option" or however they word it. Would like to know an actual confirmed weight.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

5. Member
    Go to California CARB site. You can see emissions by class and you can see torque at Max RPM and Max Torque for each and every engine tested.

Just don't compare emission of a 300 RAVE G2 to a 250 merc. compare like engines.

What I noticed is the Peak torque and max rpm torque are really close but at slightly different RPMs. I think, especially with the smaller prop, the hole shots will be similar.

But take a look for yourselves.
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    I am especially interested in this too, especially on a bass or other performance boat. We will be re-powering our Project Activator soon. I don't like the idea of the V8 for less than 250 HP.

They are dead silent that's for sure:

Wow that is amazing

7. Member
    That is amazingly quiet but is the 6 Cylinder and has the quiet button. The Pro XS is without that option and is tuned for a more traditional rumble.

Still Feaking awesome
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

Quote Originally Posted by hurky509 View Post
    So the new 225 four stroke was announced in Feb... its almost May, why have we not seen a performance report or comparison between the 225 G2 and the 225 mercury four stroke. I would like to see the torque and hp figures and options. It appears that the iTrim feature on the G2's is not standard on the new four strokes. I know the G2 2 stroke will be stronger, but just how close does the new 225 four stroke come? Would also like to see an emissions report from the new 225 four stroke. The G2 is the best-in-class, again would like to see how close the new four stroke comes. Poptimaxtm is obsolete now. The new four stroke is 25lbs lighter and also quieter than the G2 we know for a fact.
    Serious question: where have you ever seen this kind of detailed comparison of two outboards?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow