Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....1#post10140505
    Pic 1 is GT50 with Range of 195
    Pic 5 is GT50 with Range of 185
    Depth is 50-70
    Rest are GT54 on 455
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

2. Member
    Shame they can’t figure this side imaging thing out.

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Can I safely assume that mounting the GT8HW-IH is not a problem with overheating?
    No issues at all with overheating. I did see you also mention maybe mounting a transom-mount GT15. I'd say this is overkill. The inhull GT8 and GT15 both work really well (GT15 being the superior xducer). The GT15 also comes with 4 different mounting tanks to account for different degrees of deadrise.
    Garmin Pro Team

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    Shame they can’t figure this side imaging thing out.

Theres six guys that fish with me and all switched console and bow units to garmins because of the side imagine,all said a lot better than my brand now.I think that’s pretty impressive!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    No issues at all with overheating. I did see you also mention maybe mounting a transom-mount GT15. I'd say this is overkill. The inhull GT8 and GT15 both work really well (GT15 being the superior xducer). The GT15 also comes with 4 different mounting tanks to account for different degrees of deadrise.
    I looked at what I think is a similar Airmar transducer that requires a cup mount. I have a 209 Gambler that is double hull construction and has a trough on the center line that's about 3"(maybe 4") wide. I think the GT15 install(tanks) requires more space than I have available for an in hull installation. I've checked Garmin's web site for dimensions on the tank but haven't been successful in locating that information.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Yupitsme, i have the tanks at home for my GT15....i can post a pic and dimensions later today if no one has......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Yupitsme, i have the tanks at home for my GT15....i can post a pic and dimensions later today if no one has......
    Would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Here you go Doug.....

I the GT15 based on what Leonard W said.....it's 100x's better than my Lowrance shoot thru and works great in shallow and deep water as well as running on plane.....but of course while on plane it must be in the sweet spot....

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    Thanks - A LOT!!!.... It will require a lotta work but physically it will fit. Now I gotta decide if it's worth the work. I mean.... I've got a perfectly good Airmar TM185HW already installed that would require a simple Garmin pig tail splice. I'm really leanin' towards retaining the Airmar and installing a GT8HW-IH to accommodate the on-the-pad depth reading requirements.

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Leonard do you remember which unit you were using on these pics?

11. Member
    8616xsv. Even though some of them say 1242 the image was on the 8616. The 1242 was where the GT50 was connected.
    I think the GT50 image would have been a bit better if that transducer had been plugged directly into the 8616.
    I don't have proof of that but I remember thinking I could see a difference. The sonar image has both hardware and software dependencies. I think the chipsets in the 86xx units produce a slightly better image.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Those are right up there with any brand.This is why Iam getting a 8610 the resolution makes a big difference along with uhd and better transducers .We are all playing with the low end units trying to get 4K quality it’s not going to happen imo.
    Last edited by TOUCH OF CLASS; 01-21-2020 at 07:39 AM.

13. Member
    I think it is more to it than just screen resolution. Look at some of the other threads on here comparing screen resolution of the low end Garmin's to HB Helix or Lowrance units. Garmin needs to really up their game especially on side imaging with better transducers if they want to compete with HB on side imanging.

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The 8610 is at a pretty good price point and looking at the pics which they are always better on the unit look amazing imo .If they offered a 9 inch in the 8600 series they would have a home run .I was told by my garmin rep that the 8600 has a lot more technology for down /side and even livescope than he lesser units .I can’t say for sure but those pics are pretty dang good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123