Floor Repair 1988 Stratos

I've started repairing the floor in my father's 1988 Stratos. I was worried that the boat may have been water logged, so I wanted to cut some of the floor out to see before I spent a lot of money on it restoring it to use. Once I ripped up the carpet I noticed that my father must have replaced the floor himself at some point. I cut out a small spot where it was the most soft to inspect underneath and everything seems fine to me, although I really know nothing about boats. It looks like most of the center section of the floor was cut out and plywood was slid back underneath some of the remaining fiberglass and reattached using screws, then glassed over top of everything. My question is, should I just cut out much of the same spot and replace it similar to how it was done in the past, or is their a better way? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to get the rigidity back after I replace the plywood.

Attached Images Attached Images

There is a lot of good information and knowledge in the restoration forum. Post your question over there and see what advise you get...http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=118

3. Member
    I had a 201 Pro that had the same problem . It had a weak floor around the drain hole (as ) they didn't seal the wood after they drilled the hole and after time it get weak .
    I would cut behide the hole along the seam that holds the seats . An around the hole a a few inches to make sure you get all the bad wood .
    Then i would seal the whole floor and the new wood with a good sealer. I got minds from US Compoiste out of Fla .

Kinda Odd.....I have a '92 254...My floor looked just like that when I pulled the old rug to replace it...(no soft spot)..Positive it came from the factory like that..I am the second owner and certain that the first owner did not replace the floor..

5. Member
    It don't looked replace . They used some kind of level stuff back then . Take a small hammer or big screw drive and tap the floor . Listern at the sound hard will make a solid sound and wet or weak ....soft sound .

i wacked my 1989 290 Pro. floor 30 different spots and it sounded like hitting a 2x8 wall over the wall stud. So after a few dust puffs vacuumed the carpet & a wipe down with Lucus , that bubble gum smell

7. Member
    That looks like my original floor did, also.

When you cut out the wood, bevel the cutout at 45 degrees, with the bottom part of the hole smaller than the top of the hole.

When you cut the replacement piece, angle it 45 degrees, so it drops right into the hole. Use a polyester adhesive like PL PRO 3x, and cover the beveled areas nice and thick, and press the new piece into it. Put some plastic over it and set a battery on it to hold it down until it dries.

If you do it right, the patched area will be exactly as strong as the original. Seal it, carpet it and enjoy your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    ....They used some kind of level stuff back then....
    Fairing compound.