21 XRS w/ 200 SHO

I'm in the market for a new boat and have been looking at the Bullets. Went fishing with a guide who had one, and i was impressed.

What's everyone's thoughts about putting a 200 SHO on a 21XRS? Anything larger will be out of my budget i think.

Thanks in advance

Imo it needs at least a 250 But u could always take a 200 sho and make it 250. But be mindful that voids all warranty. It might be wise to find a used 21... with a 250 that is in your budget.
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

3. Member
    Go used, resale won't be good with a 200.

Did you fish with Oldfield @ Fork?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bling View Post
    Imo it needs at least a 250 But u could always take a 200 sho and make it 250. But be mindful that voids all warranty. It might be wise to find a used 21... with a 250 that is in your budget.
    This is wise advice, and if you say speed doesn't matter buy another boat

5. Member
    Yes I sure did, had a great time

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    Go used, resale won't be good with a 200.

Did you fish with Oldfield @ Fork?
    I sure did, had a great time

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bling View Post
    Yamaha can not tell the programming has been changed. If you get higher rev limiter keep it under stock limiter while its under warranty and its good to go.

8. Member
    I bought a used 21xdc with a 200... sold it after using it for a few months and went with a 250... cost me a few grand.

9. Member
    If I was to buy a sho for a bullet it would be a 200 thin have hydrotech tune it up and put a sporty on it.
    Bullet 21xrd Mercury 300xs

10. Member
    No way, no how. A 21 needs at least a 250. I have a 20XD with a 250XS. I consider that a minimum. I personally would want a 300 on a 21. You will regret putting an undersized motor on a 21.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastandRodz View Post
    I sure did, had a great time
    I've known Randy since I was a kid and used to fish with him at least once a year. Just couldn't get over there this year due to work. I've caught 3 over 10 with him, my brother has caught 1, my dad has caught 1 and I've seen Randy catch 2. My boat was Randy's first Bullet.

12. Member
    I've got a 21XD with a 250 SHO...had a 225 Merc on it before. Could not be happier with the set up! I've only got 30 hours on the motor but literally love starting that thing up every time I fish!

Get yourself a 200 and have it flashed.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    If I was to buy a sho for a bullet it would be a 200 thin have hydrotech tune it up and put a sporty on it.
    This!!!!!!!May not need a sporty for a 21 but tune it to 300 and be torque monster!!

14. Member
    If I were getting a SHO for a 21 it would deffinately be a 200 with flashing it to 300 in mind. Saves about $2K. Get advice on the flash (RPM limit) for warranty purposes and go from there.

15. Member
    I have a 250 sho on a 21rdc Flashed to a 300 with the rev limiter raised to 6400. Best thing I ever did. Before flash with 27 Ot-4 80-81 rpms 5700. I could not seem to get past the 5700 rpm flat spot. After hyrotec flash same prop 87 @6150......29txp light load by myself I touched 90 @6000. Holeshot performance unbelievable . I haven’t tried any other props. I don’t want to exceed the limiter for warranty purposes. I’ve heard back and forth about warranty on this, the most important part is your mechanic and what the cause of failure is. Flashing the sho not only gives u a noticeable gain but the motor runs more efficiently in all aspects. I haven’t heard or seen one sho go down and been turned down due to ecu flash. I’ve seen a few go down that had a flash done and the warranty was honored. To answer this question I’d def buy the 200 save money then get it flashed to 300 for 650....u can leave the limiter alone if it makes you feel better. Getting it flashed without moving the limiter is still a huge upgrade and benefit as you will still have hard time getting past that 5700 rpm flat spot if you don’t get the flash.....Keep in mind 80 mph seemed good for a 21fter but 5700 rpms was not good this motor needed to be atleast running 6000rpms I didn’t want to prop down. the flash took care of all that and brought this motor to life. Call hydro tech Wayne will explain.

Mike Kopelic Pittsburgh Pa

15 BULLET 21RDC 250 SHO

16. Member
    Just for the sporty comments. The stock case is good for 95mph, the magic number was 98mph for me on my 20 xd, I know Paul Nichols ran a stock case 100+

The sporty will make you faster because you can lift higher. But it’s not needed on a 21.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kope37 View Post
    I have a 250 sho on a 21rdc Flashed to a 300 with the rev limiter raised to 6400. Best thing I ever did. Before flash with 27 Ot-4 80-81 rpms 5700. I could not seem to get past the 5700 rpm flat spot. After hyrotec flash same prop 87 @6150......29txp light load by myself I touched 90 @6000. Holeshot performance unbelievable . I haven’t tried any other props. I don’t want to exceed the limiter for warranty purposes. I’ve heard back and forth about warranty on this, the most important part is your mechanic and what the cause of failure is. Flashing the sho not only gives u a noticeable gain but the motor runs more efficiently in all aspects. I haven’t heard or seen one sho go down and been turned down due to ecu flash. I’ve seen a few go down that had a flash done and the warranty was honored. To answer this question I’d def buy the 200 save money then get it flashed to 300 for 650....u can leave the limiter alone if it makes you feel better. Getting it flashed without moving the limiter is still a huge upgrade and benefit as you will still have hard time getting past that 5700 rpm flat spot if you don’t get the flash.....Keep in mind 80 mph seemed good for a 21fter but 5700 rpms was not good this motor needed to be atleast running 6000rpms I didn’t want to prop down. the flash took care of all that and brought this motor to life. Call hydro tech Wayne will explain.
    Thanks for the input

18. Member

Mike Kopelic Pittsburgh Pa

15 BULLET 21RDC 250 SHO