Ultrex - Extra Wire???

I just completed the installation of my new Ultrex, ran tranducer wire, and now ready to take it out. I did not purchase the I pilot Link. What do I do with the extra wire at head of trolling motor? I was told it goes into the back of my HBird but if you dont have Link do you still attach it or ????

2. Member
    What do you mean by ''ran the transducer wire'' ?

3. Member
    The transducer on bottom of trolling motor that hooks into Hbird in front.

4. Member
    The "extra wire" you are referring to is the wire for the Ultrex mounted transducer (US2). You must be using a different transducer mounted to the Ultrex lower unit. If you are not using the US2 transducer just push the wire up into the head of the Ultrex and screw a plastic valve stem (like from a bicycle tire) on the end to protect it.

5. Member
    Ok. I thought that was the wire that hooks you up to the I-pilot Link. How does the Ultrex hook up to HBirds?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger8470 View Post
    Ok. I thought that was the wire that hooks you up to the I-pilot Link. How does the Ultrex hook up to HBirds?
    Through Ethernet which your model does not have. You would have two cables coming out of the head...one for US2 and one for Ethernet. Sounds like you only have the US2.

2002 Ranger 175VS - Mercury 125
    2006 Ranger Z20 - Mercury 225
    2008 Ranger TR-177 - Mercury 115
    1987 Ranger 350V - Mercury 150
    2010 Ranger Z521 - Mercury 250
    2012 Ranger Z518 - Mercury 200
    2015 Ranger Z521C - Mercury 250 ProXS
    1993 Ranger 481V - Mercury 175 ProXS
    2018 Ranger Z519 - Mercury 225 ProXS
    2020 Ranger RB190 - Mercury 115 ProXS

7. Member
    I taped it with electrical tape to cover the metal and shoved it in the head.

8. Member
    So after pushing all the cord into the head, you will have the connector sticking out with tape on it? Im a little confused.....i tried to shove cord into head and it seemed like there was too much cord to fit in the head of unit. I didnt want to force it in the head and damage something.

9. Member
    4 screws, remove the top cap of the head, place the wire in and close it back up.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger8470 View Post
    So after pushing all the cord into the head, you will have the connector sticking out with tape on it? Im a little confused.....i tried to shove cord into head and it seemed like there was too much cord to fit in the head of unit. I didnt want to force it in the head and damage something.
    No, the whole thing is in the head. I just took that little circle cap off and shoved it in there then put the cap back on.

Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    4 screws, remove the top cap of the head, place the wire in and close it back up.

All that I have seen have about a 6" lead from the shaft with a connecter------

12. Member
    Mine has at least a 4 foot lead from the control head with a connector on the end. I used a Bird transducer installed to the trolling motor with a shield protector. What do I do with all that wire, it sure wont push into the head.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Mine has at least a 4 foot lead from the control head with a connector on the end. I used a Bird transducer installed to the trolling motor with a shield protector. What do I do with all that wire, it sure wont push into the head.
    What model Ultrex ? Did you pull the top off the head to see if there is a connecter?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    What model Ultrex ? Did you pull the top off the head to see if there is a connecter?
    Mine is the I -Pilot but without the link. New Ultrex from John at Jones trolling motor service. I have not pulled the top off of the head yet to see if there is a connector, it''s raining today so I will check it out tomorrow. I am never going to use the US2 transducer so what would it hurt to just cut and cap the lead?

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Mine is the I -Pilot but without the link. New Ultrex from John at Jones trolling motor service. I have not pulled the top off of the head yet to see if there is a connector, it''s raining today so I will check it out tomorrow. I am never going to use the US2 transducer so what would it hurt to just cut and cap the lead?
    Nothing that I know of. Just never seen one YET that did not have a short connecter.
    I ran mine with the cables and have it ready just in case something happens to the other transducer during an extended trip or tournament.. But I fish a lot of offshore structure and a depth finder is critical to me.