Verado tilt limited

2018 200 Verado L4 #2B546709 on a Ranger 1880ms

I have limited range of tilt from the helm control. The trim motor just stops. Less than I would typically use when riding up the ramp on the trailer etc. With the tongue jack lowered way down in the garage I have 11" under the LU. If I were to raise the tongue back up it would be much less. I added a level 2 merc monitor. I have calibrated so that full down is 0. The monitor shows the tilt stopping at 16 on the scale.

I have full range of tilt from the switch on the motor, but would like to be able to increase the tilt available from the helm. I think there may be a limit set due to the bimini top (stowed location) added by Ranger?

I've been through the Verado books but cannot seem to find where this is set so I am assuming that it may be set in the ECM?

Maybe I'll be fine like this, but I'm used to full control as my prior 115 Merc would crush the compartment doors if I did not watch out.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 05-08-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add serial

2. Member
    Ranger puts limit switches on the trim from the factory

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Ranger puts limit switches on the trim from the factory

Ranger just told me that they do not do this and it happened at Mercury.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trim Limit is set with the Computer Diagnostic System (and is part of rigging a Verado Engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you. I came from a 2008 model 4s with no effective limits so I am learning on the fly here. It appears as though the trim limit was set to protect the framework of the top when folded down.

I do have a further question regarding trim limiters. Is the trim limit under power a function of motor to boat matching, is it a mechanical limit with the hydraulics not having the power to move beyond the "stage" and is it there for a mechanical surety reason?

Under power mine stops at 10. While operating the boat it feels that I am still gaining as I approach the limit and I could probably trim further without prop blow out.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One thing we have not done is to obtain the engine Serial Number (see Forum Announcements- Serial Number is Required). This allows us to provide more Engine-Specific information (especially since Mercury does not use "years").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Added serial to the original post.
    To help me understand this system Ihavafe questions:

1) Is the trim on my Merc Monitor directly representing actual degrees?

2) Is the trim limit set based on the strength of the mounting bracket/trim system itself or more a factor of the needs of the boat?

3) Does my trim limit of 10 under power sound quite low?

4) If I were a daring soul and decided to try to use the tilt switch to further trim the engine would it go further? Seems the helm is limited, not the one on the motor and I have not tried the one on the bow.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 05-09-2018 at 03:32 PM.