Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Last time I looked at a Ford car was a couple years back. They had a drive on for you school event at my school and I went and drove a truck for the fund raiser. Anyway, I believe it was a Taurus that was there, it was loaded and was a very nice looking car, but the thing listed for $40,000. If I'm paying that much for a car, I'm going to get an SUV or truck instead for the same money.

2. Member
    Ford makes cars??
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

3. Member
    What cracks me up is all these people buying these smaller "SUVs" are just buying lifted cars. Virtually NONE of these are in any way tough or off-road worthy like a true body on frame large SUV or truck (with a very few exceptions ie new Land Rover, ect). These hot selling "SUVs" everyone has to have are literally based off of the sedan chassis and running gear for the same manufacturer, lifted with some plastic cladding to make you feel good. The trade-off is poor handling, decreased efficiency for that whopping 1.5" of clearance. I don't get it myself. I'd buy a wagon if I really needed the extra space, Audi, Volvo, ect. But that's just me...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
    What cracks me up is all these people buying these smaller "SUVs" are just buying lifted cars. Virtually NONE of these are in any way tough or off-road worthy like a true body on frame large SUV or truck (with a very few exceptions ie new Land Rover, ect). These hot selling "SUVs" everyone has to have are literally based off of the sedan chassis and running gear for the same manufacturer, lifted with some plastic cladding to make you feel good. The trade-off is poor handling, decreased efficiency for that whopping 1.5" of clearance. I don't get it myself. I'd buy a wagon if I really needed the extra space, Audi, Volvo, ect. But that's just me...
    It works for a lot of people though. People that buy SUV crossovers don't care about handling or off-roading. They just care about space and all wheel drive. The wagons in the brands you listed are pretty expensive. In this day and age crossovers are simply more convenient for an family without sacrificing a lot on price.

5. Member
    I'd wager a bet that the Subaru outback is better off-road than say a Ford escape, or Chevy equinox, etc. Not to mention better quality, resale, and often at a lower price.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    I'd wager a bet that the Subaru outback is better off-road than say a Ford escape, or Chevy equinox, etc. Not to mention better quality, resale, and often at a lower price.
    Subaru Outback??? What are you a dope smokin' hippy tree hugger...
    Couldn't help myself...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

7. Member
    Keep in mind, this is for now - not forever. Trends come and go, gas prices spike and recede.

Lots of stories out there that the personally owned vehicle will be gone in 20 years.

8. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    To the average driver they work very well, they have no reason for "tough or off-road worthy". To haul around a couple kids, stop at the grocery store and a little shopping they work very well. Have no idea where the poor handling idea comes from, most of them are very nimble and handle quite well.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

I like how much easier they are to get in and out of and more headroom. Can fit more stuff in them with the seats played down. Just a better design for the soccer mom.

10. Banned
    Bring back the Country Squire station wagon

11. Member
    Yes, it's much easier getting in and out of a small SUV. The real world gas mileage isn't much worse than a car. Most people aren't taking their Fusions to a race track, so the minimal loss of handling isn't going to be noticed by the people who drive these vehicles. Somebody who wants off road capability aren't buying things either, they'll buy a Wrangler. I had a Fusion for a rental and really liked it, but for the average person buying an Escape is more practical and the cost isn't that much than a car. There is a reason the auto makers are selling so many.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

12. huskyjerk
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    the original family truckster!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Agree with that 100%!

14. Member
    And all this while I thought they were just a dressed up minivan
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

I remember my Dad always saying, "if you could put a Chevy motor in a Ford vehicle, it would sell better than anything else on the market". After driving for 35 years and owning countless vehicles of almost every brand, I understand what he meant. Maybe Ford should merge with GM so they could make this happen. I can envision a Ford car that doesn't break down every 3 weeks... or a Chevy that doesn't rust out before it's paid off... however you want to look at it.

16. Member
    Toyota here is adding 450 jobs. Go figure!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Here here!

Although I'm more of a Vista Cruiser and Custom Cruiser guy.

Remember That 70's Show? My dad had a black w/fake vinyl woodgrain Custom Cruiser. Pulled his boat, or a travel trailer with it.
    Upgraded to that 455 in the Custom Cruiser. TALK ABOUT A GAS HOG!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

18. Banned
    I worked at Ford for 24 years, and still have many friends in dealerships.

Ford a few years ago pushed dealers to meet higher "standards" and pushed dealers to make large investments in new facilities based on standardized plans.. Many dealer's profits didn't increase enough to pay for those new buildings--and some dealerships closed or were sold.

By lowering sales vo!umes, dealers will have to increase profit margins to make up for lower sales volumes. And expect employee headcount to decrease --their biggest expense.

If I was stuck on a $5 million building mortgage and my manufacturer dropped half of my product line, I would be one unhappy dealer. And I would most likely be putting my dealership up for sale.
    Last edited by Bamaman; 04-27-2018 at 11:06 AM.

19. Banned
    It is in the American blood to support all those off brands seems to me but, nothing is 100% American made anymore.

20. Member
    https://jenkinsandwynne.com/

Our local Ford dealer is also the local Honda dealer. Different buildings with the same big lot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123