Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ford to massively cut car production after announcing profit.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ings/34244867/

Note this is cars, not trucks. Seems like only the Mustang and Focus crossover stay.

Can't say I'm surprised, the F150 has been their bread and butter, I don't know too many people that prefer their sedans over competitors.

Toyota will be happy the Fusion is gone it was listed as their main threat to Camery a couple years ago. I honestly think going to just one family car will be a mistake for them if/when 4.00 gas returns. However, I do not think Ford when I think about a car.

Look the next time your out for a drive, there's more and more of the smaller SUV's on the road.
    Last edited by Beast; 04-26-2018 at 06:09 AM.

I see a ton of Focus on the road with commuters.

5. Member
    if gas hits 4$ a gallon they will be in deep dodo,people will not buy suv,trucks at $4 a gallon

6. Member
    My first thought was - There goes Hackett again. That guy decimated Steelcase and now he is turning his hatchet on the poor folks at Ford. Sure outsourcing the crap out of the parts and manufacturing is profitable for stock holders but a lot of people in Michigan lost their jobs because of him. In this part of west Michigan he is not well liked.

7. Member
    FIL traded their Mercedes ML diesel for a Lincoln MKX last year. It’s a nice ride. I can see why someone would buy this over a sedan, not much difference in MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    if gas hits 4$ a gallon they will be in deep dodo,people will not buy suv,trucks at $4 a gallon
    New Small SUV get about 25-30 mpg, trucks get about 18-25mpg, and they were driving the old gas guzzlers the last time gas spiked, I suspect they still if it happens again.

I know it's not Ford but General Motors in our area is going down to one shift in June.

They need to concentrate on SUV's ant trucks to design them better. My F150 with the 2.7 has been in the shop since April 2nd. Started with changing the heads, now the oil pressure is fluctuating and they don't know why. On the positive side, the tiny escape that they let me use gets 40 mpg on the highway!

11. Banned
    That explains why they are going to the Mustang in NASCAR next year.

Let’s face it. Ford cars (sedans) are underwhelming at best. They haven’t built a consistent seller besides the Mustang since the Crown Vic was discontinued.
    Good business decision to concentrate on their strong suits.
    My next truck will be a Ford.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    I'm not real impressed with some of Ford's decision making on some issues...Getting rid of the Ranger years ago when it was selling over 200k units and was leading the way in the small truck segment stands out as a glaring mistake from the top...among others....Hackett has yet to impress me since he has been at the helm stockholders have been less than impressed also...Mullally has to be shaking his head at the current direction we are headed..
    I could fill this entire thread with the struggles we are going through in my little piece of the company but to me it feels like we are going back to the way things were before the crisis in 2008..I used to love coming to work every day and now it feels like everything is in total chaos...
    Ford pretty much moved all Car production to Mexico so I'm not really sure where they are going...You would think that would address some issues with costs but obviously not enough...I think we are headed for a down cycle not seen for a couple of decades..and that is all across the auto segment..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

I'm thinking most car sales may be on the decline, like I said in a earlier post, more and more little SUV's on the road

Sissies drive cars... that's all I'm sayin

Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai. Own the car market and will not lose that segment anytime soon.

I bought a 2014 Focus, new. It's been a disappointment. Left wife stranded at 27k Ford wanted me to authorize an estimate. Bought it new at that dealer. They said $75 inspection fee if it was not warranty related. REALLY?! It was a water pump. Let me cut this short. I'm a Union member IUOE. Buy American right? That Focus has been a turd, in the shop 8 times.
    Have a 2012 Civic bought new. Still own both. Civic has had oil changes, air filter and tires. That's it. What do you think I'll spend my money on next?
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

18. huskyjerk
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    I bought a 2014 Focus, new. It's been a disappointment. Left wife stranded at 27k Ford wanted me to authorize an estimate. Bought it new at that dealer. They said $75 inspection fee if it was not warranty related. REALLY?! It was a water pump. Let me cut this short. I'm a Union member IUOE. Buy American right? That Focus has been a turd, in the shop 8 times.
    Have a 2012 Civic bought new. Still own both. Civic has had oil changes, air filter and tires. That's it. What do you think I'll spend my money on next?
    I hear ya. I live in the Detroit area and when I grew up buying American was like a religion. I've been disappointed by each of the Big 3 with previous vehicles. I currently own a Honda.

19. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Currently have to have a truck, with the boat and needs tied to the property and horses. But if ever in the market for a car there is nothing "American" that is remotely interesting.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

20. Member
    GM says they are cutting back on sedans too.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/26/...do-gmc-sierra/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast