So how bad is it...

My father handed my son and I the keys to the boat I grew up fishing in. It had been awhile since running her and it has sat outside under a tarp for a few years now. It is an 01' Procraft 185 Pro with a Mercury 150 XR6. Freshened up the engine, new batteries, cleaned up the wiring, new tires in the trailer, etc. Son(7) and I have been fishing out of it now twice a week for a month and we are pretty satisfied. Would like to redo the carpet and fix the gel coat over this summer, but this gel on the flake is rough! The white is not near as bad, but it's not glass smooth. Under the rubrail is good, just he top cap. Is this too far gone for the wet sand process?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    You can sand it and buff but it’s too far gone to look really good. Only good fixes is to re-gel or have it wrapped. Wrapping it will be much cheaper.

3. Member
    Also,contact Crank68 on these boards,he is a resto expert. He will give you solid advice and you can trust what he says,good man.

4. Banned
    That doesn't look that bad. Oxidation will feel rough to the touch. Do a wet sand/buff test on a small spot and I'll bet you'll be surprised how it shines up. With a little elbow grease, I'm sure you can get it looking like new again.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    try a spot and follow directions don't take the easy way out , start with 600 grit go to 800 and then 1000 then 1200 then 1500 and then 2000 after that wash good and buff with 3M perfect-it and then seal all that hard work with Pro-tec sealant and you should be satisfied rug will also make it look good too
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Thank y'all, we are going to at least give it a try.

You need to change out the fuel lines and bulb NOW if they are original. Here is a thread you should read: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

First thing I did was all new fuel lines and carb cleaning.

I’m looking at a wetsand on my boat: any idea how much of those sand papers one should buy for a job like this??
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    try a spot and follow directions don't take the easy way out , start with 600 grit go to 800 and then 1000 then 1200 then 1500 and then 2000 after that wash good and buff with 3M perfect-it and then seal all that hard work with Pro-tec sealant and you should be satisfied rug will also make it look good too
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

There’s only one pic that prolly won’t sand and buff....the first one with the cracking. It may look ok though. All the rest of the pics, you should be fine as stated. Just make sure your first stage of buffing is with a 3000 grit compound and a wool cutting pad. Easy on your machine speed until you get the feel for it.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    I have a question for the experts here my ranger is cracked and checked like the first pic. If you sand it will it to smooth it up will it change the color of the flake. I really want to get rid of the oxidation and at least make it shine as best it can. But I'm Larry of opening up the cracks and check marks

13. Member
    That'll come back just fine! My '88 was WAY worse than that! Do yourself a favor and get the pro-tec kit!
    Josh Pope, Realtor, Tutt Land Company

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Try Al's procedure. His older Ranger looks better than my '09 Stratos.
    Wishing I was Fishing

15. Member
    i wet sanded my boat and used 1000 grit then 2000 grit, then wax it and done, you may have to keep waxing it for it to look good over the years but it will look great! good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by samiam12 View Post
    I have a question for the experts here my ranger is cracked and checked like the first pic. If you sand it will it to smooth it up will it change the color of the flake. I really want to get rid of the oxidation and at least make it shine as best it can. But I'm Larry of opening up the cracks and check marks
    Bringing this question back up. I had some similar cracking on my 92 Basscat. I spent a couple hours today wetsanding with 1500 then 2000, then buffed/polished and waxed. It looks good now - has great shine but the cracks are still visible. In a couple of areas that were really bad I can "feel" the metal flake. I don't think I made it right through the gel, but I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about it/do I need to seal it somehow?

Also, what is the best way to get rid of this type of gel cracking?

17. Member
    Just sand it like basscat7s sticky.......I think you will be surprised how nice it will look. You have nothing to lose.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass806 View Post
    Just sand it like basscat7s sticky.......I think you will be surprised how nice it will look. You have nothing to lose.
    Yep, and post pics of your progress.