Chickamauga - questions

Hey Guys,

I am taking my son (10) down to Chickamauga May 5th to fish this weekend. I live in Ohio and first time I have been on this lake - staying in Dayton, TN. Hoping someone may be able to provide some info on general tips on the lake and finding some fish.

Not asking for specific spots or anything, just hoping for a point in the right direction or thoughts on the lake/time of year. I am not a tournament fisherman, catch and release only, just looking for a couple fun days on a new lake with my son. We are both super excited!

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any thoughts for us. PM's are totally fine if anyone is concerned about public info.

Thanks again!
    Wax

2. Member
    Don’t think you can go wrong with a trap that’s all I used and wacked them a month ago

It is going to be REALLY busy that Saturday...usually over 250 boats out of Dayton Boat Dock. Your son may enjoy watching a big launch and weigh in though. Once they launch, you will be fine out on the lake.

https://www.flwfishing.com/tournamen...ke-chickamauga

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Thanks for sharing this - I had no idea....
    Would be fun to watch the launch - son would enjoy that!

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    It is going to be REALLY busy that Saturday...usually over 250 boats out of Dayton Boat Dock. Your son may enjoy watching a big launch and weigh in though. Once they launch, you will be fine out on the lake.

https://www.flwfishing.com/tournamen...ke-chickamauga

5. Member
    Like has been mentioned, you're going to be right in the middle of the college boys.
    After the swarm of high school kids hit the lake this weekend and the college boys hit it the next all looking shallow for spawners you'll want to try to find some less pressured fish. I would work staging points on the way in to spawning flats. Should have fish moving in and coming back out stopping at the same place and you can catch big numbers of 2.5-3 pounders while everyone else is dirt shallow looking for beds. Pull some big girls in those spots too.

Don’t be shy if you are going to watch the launch. Go out on the dock and hang out next to Kevin Hunt (FLW Tournament Director). He is a really nice guy!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    Thanks WackyJig - very much appreciated! Any reason to travel to certain areas of lake vs. stay close to Dayton area? Any must stop places to eat in the area or on the lake?

Thanks O6_SB! I am definately going to stop by and check that out. I have really only ever been around small club tournaments in person, so would be fun to see for both of us!

8. Member
    Carrabelle's in town and Jacob Myers there on the lake are good places to eat

Put in at Chester foster park. Run up to the cooling towers and hit the spawning flats. The males should be up there already with the females staging right below them. Hope he catches a toad.

10. Matt20xd
    Sportsman warehouse tx out of Chester frost that day as well.

11. Member
    Thanks guys a ton! Really awesome of you all to share this info!!

Really appreciate it!

12. Banned
    How much use does the small ramp with the gravel lot get used during these events?

Bill

13. Member
    Mid lake has Grasshopper Rec Area ramp and Sale Creek ramp is directly across the lake from Grasshopper. Both nice ramps and may be able to avoid the big tournament traffic. Just throwing out some options

14. Member
    The ramp at the dam would be the least crowded of all as it is the furtherest away from the tourneys.

15. Member
    Don't shy away from the Rig just because the water temps are above 60. Red rattle trap, but throw different sizes.
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

16. Member
    sent you a pm

17. Member
    You guys are incredible - thanks for all the info!! Can’t wait!!! Thanks again!!