Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    McCormick, SC - By way of Aubrey,TX ,Buford, GA and originally Kettering, OH

Rod tubes removal

I want to remove the rod tubes from my 2006 Z20. I removed the screws but the assembly is still firmly stuck. Is it glued in or is there something else I need to do to remove them?
    2020 520L / 250 PRO XS 4S

Are those in the port or center locker? I removed those from the portside locker in my '06 Z21 when it was new, there was no glue or any other type of adhesive on it. Perhaps it's just stuck after being in place for so long?

I tried to remove them from my current 2018 Z520L, but there isn't any room to get a screwdriver in to remove the top row of phillips head screws.

Forgot to mention, your photo isn't showing, hence my question about which locker.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Those rod tubes are firmly foamed into place. The foam can be removed, but it’s a very painstaking process, and of course reduces the flotation in that area of the boat. If you do a search, you will hear of cases in which that task has been performed, and other cases in which the boat owner decided to leave well enough alone.

Correction if I'm wrong: those tubes typically are foamed in place.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    I have a 521 L also and would really like to remove my tubes as well if anyone knows how.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blw View Post
    I have a 521 L also and would really like to remove my tubes as well if anyone knows how.
    Only way is to order the boat with out tubes, I guess they could be taken out but it sure would be a pain and might void your warranty!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Those rod tubes are firmly foamed into place. The foam can be removed, but it’s a very painstaking process, and of course reduces the flotation in that area of the boat. If you do a search, you will hear of cases in which that task has been performed, and other cases in which the boat owner decided to leave well enough alone.

I thought about removing them, so I looked in the bow under the bow plate...yes, they are encased in foam. They are still in the boat, wasn't about to take on that task.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

7. Member
    Yep. Pull the bow plate and take a look. Mine are foamed in. I would love to have them gone but it looks like a massive undertaking to chisel them out. I just don’t use them as is. Terrible design.

You'll spend an eternity trying to get them out with all that foam around them. Why would anybody want them out ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    You'll spend an eternity trying to get them out with all that foam around them. Why would anybody want them out ??
    1) because 12 rod is not enough, 2) 24 rods is getting closer, but still not enough 3) I have broken off guides putting the rods into the tubes.

What I wish they would do is have a rod locker similar to a couple other brands, where they have tubes, and below the tubs is just an open area obviously without tubes, so you can store more rods.
    Yes, on points 1 & 2, I was trying the be funny, but I want / like to keep all my rods and reels in the boat. and I have lots of them. not only am I an angler, I am a collector!
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by badMackrel View Post
    I thought about removing them, so I looked in the bow under the bow plate...yes, they are encased in foam. They are still in the boat, wasn't about to take on that task.
    Bummer, I didn't realize they were foamed in nowadays. It was easy in my old Z21, just unscrewed the old tube/wall and voila!

11. Member
    I wanted mine out because they force too much of a bend in the rods. The ones on the outer edges are really flexed. I don't like my rods staying in that shape. Without the tubes, you can store your rods in their natural, straight shape.

12. Member
    Has anyone removed the bungee cords that hold the butts tight into the rack? I feel like the rods may sit better in the rod locker without the bungee..

13. Member
    The tubes suck

14. Member
    Ranger needs to do like skeeter did in the fxr rod boots that would be awesome I too hate my rod tubes good way to break some guides quick

15. Member
    I decided to take the tubes out my 08 Z20, removed all the screws, no problem. Spent next hour trying to get those damn tubes out. Checked in my shop...damn no dynamite! Spent next 15 minutes puting screws back in......decided I really do like those tubes!
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post

Yes sir, its one huge job to remove, I would not advise any one to try it. You can now special order a Ranger with out them, few years ago you couldn't.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanche20 View Post
    I decided to take the tubes out my 08 Z20, removed all the screws, no problem. Spent next hour trying to get those damn tubes out. Checked in my shop...damn no dynamite! Spent next 15 minutes puting screws back in......decided I really do like those tubes!
    Thats was my exact process also......

18. Bass Fishin & Old Mil Rangerhgm's Avatar
    When I ordered my 2011 Z118 I called Ranger and asked them to build it without the rod tubes.....they wouldn't.

This was my 1st Ranger with the tubes and it will be my last Ranger.....I hate those damn things

19. Member
    I have an 06 z21. I took the center locker tubes out. Was easy. 15 mins. Unscrewed the bulk head and Gave it a good tug.

20. Member
    With Neoprene sleeves, you can put 3 rods in each tube, no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast