Where to start troubleshooting TM

My 2006 MotorGuide died. It worked fine when I started out on the water, but at some point when I stepped on the switch it didn't seem like I had much power. After about 2 minutes it wouldn't run at all.

During the course of the day I tried it in the stowed position several times. Sometimes I got nothing and sometimes it would spin for a few seconds before stopping. The on position on the pedal had no effect. When I got home I tested the batteries and they show full charge.

How do I go about chasing this down?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Check your connector at the front and then all of the wiring and the breaker.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You've got to follow the voltage from the battery to the trollingmotor, checking it with the trolling motor turned on constant. Start at the battery and work you way to the head of the trolling motor.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Here is what I found so far. Batteries are fully charged so I am getting 26.4v on the backside of the plug, after the plug, and at the head while the pedal is set to constant. I pulled off the pedal and don't see any loose wires there. should I check for voltage on any of those?

Other threads talk about a module to check. I don't see anything like that in the picture below.

I did notice evidence of a small amount of burning in the plug on the red wire. I stripped those wires and re-connected them. After that the motor spun for about 20 seconds in a low speed. I turned it off and it would not start again. I am assuming the burning is the result of another problem and not the primary issue.

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Try to get 24 volts with some wire to the head where the red, green blue and yellow wire are. disconnect those wires. connect the black wire to the green(neg) and go to each of the remaining three wires.(Red, Blue, Yellow. If motor runs you have a problem in the foot pedal, if it does not run it is in the motor. there is no module in this motor. There are a set of windings in the housing behind the prop. If there is an open winding or water in the motor then it will sometimes do as you described. A bad connection in the foot pedal will also do the same.

6. Member
    Thank you. Getting power to the head unit won’t be hard.

To be sure I understand your directions, attaching black to green is clear, but are you saying to combine the rest or test them one at a time?

7. Member
    Watch the voltage at the battery terminals while you turn on the trolling motor and see what it does. One/both of the batteries might show full charge, but the battery may still be bad.

Also, check each battery separately and see what you get.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....