Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    At what point did the article say anything about teachers being able to do what they want? Are there pictures of a teacher at the gun range and nothing happened to them?
    Can a teacher in that school district go to a gun range after school without out being suspended? That's what I have been asking?

At what point did the article say anything about teachers being able to do what they want? Are there pictures of a teacher at the gun range and nothing happened to them?
    Doesnt have to be in THAT article. Does your school board tell you--- you can't go to a gun range? Do you have to defend yourself to keep your job as a teacher for doing things that are lawful on your own time ?

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arjone01 View Post
    You assume they always have say in diciplinary action. You are wrong sir.
    I never said they had a say in it. But it doesn't take a genius to see what was being done was wrong. All I'm saying is that no teacher stepped up to defend the children. Perhaps I put too much faith in how smart the teachers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...-after-school/

Ironic isn't it, teachers, ironic isn't it, teachers, can do anything they want on their time , but a student can't
    Where did you get the silly notion that teachers can do anything they want on their own time?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Are school administrators now monitoring student's social media or did another student bring it to their attention? I guess you have to be very careful about what you post on social media. # Big Brother.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Where did you get the silly notion that teachers can do anything they want on their own time?
    The key word is LAWFULLY. Go ahead and tell me what they are not allowed to do LAWFULLY that will cost them their jobs.

7. Member
    The kids where in a controlled environment, and probably rented the guns so i don't see an issue. I would rather see them at a gun range shooting guns then on the street corner selling drugs.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

The key word is LAWFULLY. Go ahead and tell me what they are not allowed to do LAWFULLY that will cost them their jobs.
    We do have clauses in our contracts about being good citizens. We had teachers that participated in a womens march and had pictures posted to social media. The public was calling for them to be fired because of the signs one person who was not a teacher was holding but the district did not punish them as it was on their own time.

Quote Originally Posted by old373guy View Post
    Are school administrators now monitoring student's social media or did another student bring it to their attention? I guess you have to be very careful about what you post on social media. # Big Brother.
    We monitor our athletes social media and they can be punished for illegal pictures that are posted. This is more coming from college coaches that are telling us that they wo t recruit kids who post illegal activities.

We do have clauses in our contracts about being good citizens. We had teachers that participated in a womens march and had pictures posted to social media. The public was calling for them to be fired because of the signs one person who was not a teacher was holding but the district did not punish them as it was on their own time.
    Your own words----------but the district did not it punish them as it was on their own time.

Again, two sets of rules
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 04-25-2018 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlarcher View Post
    I never said they had a say in it. But it doesn't take a genius to see what was being done was wrong. All I'm saying is that no teacher stepped up to defend the children. Perhaps I put too much faith in how smart the teachers are.
    Again the teachers would not have known about this until it came out on the news. Again you are assuming that no teachers vouched for the kids. People bitch about cnn not reporting all the news and sensationalizing things but forget the other side does the same thing as this appears to be a right leaning site they are probably sensationalizing things leaving certain facts out to prove their agenda.

12. Member
    Everything is offensive these days! I find it offensive that I wrote the word OFFENSIVE!

Your own words----------but the district did it punish them as it was on their own time.

Again, two sets of rules
    Again, your point is invalid unless you can show a situation where a teacher posted pictures of them at a gun range and was not punished.
    I agree that this is completely wrong, but your assumptions are also wrong. No where in this article did it say that a group of teachers went to the range took a bunch of pictures and posted them and were not punished. No where did it say that teachers were not punished for anything they did outside of the classroom. No where did it show a teacher's contract that shows clauses for being an upstanding citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Can a teacher in that school district go to a gun range after school without out being suspended? That's what I have been asking?
    We don't know, and this article does not say anything about teacher's rules so you cannot assume that a teacher would not be punished the same way.

Again, your point is invalid unless you can show a situation where a teacher posted pictures of them at a gun range and was not punished.
    I agree that this is completely wrong, but your assumptions are also wrong. No where in this article did it say that a group of teachers went to the range took a bunch of pictures and posted them and were not punished. No where did it say that teachers were not punished for anything they did outside of the classroom. No where did it show a teacher's contract that shows clauses for being an upstanding citizen.
    I don't care who took the pictures, teachers, cops, the guy that cleans the urnials. What part of this don't you get? They suspended two kids for going to the gun range on their own time. Their time, not the school's time. The school district violated the kids rights. And that double standard------- your last sentence is what this post is about. Teachers don't have to be upstanding citizens

Better put the shovel back in the shed, I don't think you can dig that hole much deeper

I don't care who took the pictures, teachers, cops, the guy that cleans the urnials. What part of this don't you get? They suspended two kids for going to the gun range on their own time. Their time, not the school's time. The school district violated the kids rights. And that double standard------- your last sentence is what this post is about. Teachers don't have to be upstanding citizens

Better put the shovel back in the shed, I don't think you can dig that hole much deeper
    You forgot to quote the part where I said that this is completely wrong.
    My last sentence was worded wrong. My point was is that in most teachers contracts, it is written in there that we can face disciplinary action for things outside of school where we are not being upstanding citizen or for things posted on social media etc. My point was is that you are assuming that teachers are allowed to do anything they want and not be punished for it which is a wrong assumption.

Can you show me one instance where a student was punished and a teacher was not for doing the same thing? They must happen at the same school because different schools have different policies. If you cannot, you do not have an argument.
    You read an article of some kids being wronged by a school. The article never once mentioned the word teacher and you made the assumption that teachers are allowed to do whatever they want and not get punished for it. Teacher do not discipline, we do not make up policies. This is a school board/administration issue and has absolutely nothing to do with teachers, but you wanted to make teachers look bad so you made up the idea that there is a double standard when nothing of the sort was ever mentioned in that article.
    Last edited by Bsktball55; 04-25-2018 at 10:19 AM.

I believe this is somewhat analogous. A Fresno State college professor calls Barbara Bush a racist. The university president said that it was a "private action" and she would not be punished. I, for one, see disparate treatment between the private actions of the student versus the professor.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    I believe this is somewhat analogous. A Fresno State college professor calls Barbara Bush a racist. The university president said that it was a "private action" and she would not be punished. I, for one, see disparate treatment between the private actions of the student versus the professor.
    Now show where a student at Fresno State was punished for the same thing. Otherwise you have no proof that there is a double standard.

Are you claiming that the incidents must occur at the same location to prove the existence of a double standard? A professor was exonerated because her actions took place on her own time yet that seemingly does not apply to students. The party in power, the professor, faces no consequences for her actions because she subscribes to the correct ideology espoused in academia. The students were punished for promoting a proscribed school of thought. That is your textbook definition of a double standard.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    Are you claiming that the incidents must occur at the same location to prove the existence of a double standard? A professor was exonerated because her actions took place on her own time yet that seemingly does not apply to students. The party in power, the professor, faces no consequences for her actions because she subscribes to the correct ideology espoused in academia. The students were punished for promoting a proscribed school of thought. That is your textbook definition of a double standard.
    Yes because schools are largely controlled by the local communities. So their policies typically are on par with the philosophies of the local community. I teach in a pretty conservative school. I talk about hunting in class use guns for examples on force and stuff and no one bats an eye. I send hunting pictures and talk hunting and guns to my boss. If I did that in a more liberal area I probably wouldnt be teaching there any more. New Jersey and California are very liberal areas so their policies for both teachers and students will be much different.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast