Humminbird Helix 9 Mega Freezing and Rebooting following Basemap Update

Hi all,

Hoping the pros can give me a hand here.

I was updating my version and basemaps. The update version took okay, but when the basemaps updated it seemed to cause some serious issues.

My unit is now loading to the first screen and sometimes loads to the main sonar screen, but then freezes and reboots continuously. I have tried pulling all my cards, unplugging the power and restarting... no luck... it just keeps cycling.

is there any solution? Can I somehow load or delete the basemaps completely? I never had basemaps before this, and the unit worked fine. My dumb self just had to do updates when everything worked fine... ughhh!

please help me out if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

The basemap files are over 8GB in size. Did you get a complete download?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Yes, it took a long time. Was complete and I copied the files over to the SD individually. Unfortunately even when I put the SD IN NOW, it does not even give the option to update basemaps. When I plugged it in it showed a bar with a percentage complete. I left it for a while and when I came back the bar was gone which I assumed meant it was complete... perhaps it wasn’t? Is there any way for me to try the process again?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCrowe13 View Post
    Yes, it took a long time. Was complete and I copied the files over to the SD individually. Unfortunately even when I put the SD IN NOW, it does not even give the option to update basemaps. When I plugged it in it showed a bar with a percentage complete. I left it for a while and when I came back the bar was gone which I assumed meant it was complete... perhaps it wasn’t? Is there any way for me to try the process again?
    Do not know, contact Humminbird Customer Service.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks Wayne,
    Will give them a call in the morning to see what they think. Crazy that we have no service centers in the Toronto area... closest is about 3:30 hours north. I can only imagine how much business a Toronto service dealer would get. Thanks for the reply, and will update with details.

6. Member
    I should ask... is there any way for me to revert back to no basemap and version 1.460? I don’t know if they are online somewhere to download, but would like to try to put the unit back to its past version before hearing the inevitable “bricked, send it in” comment. Any ideas on finding the older version of software for download?

7. Member
    Just an update on the situation. I took the Helix to the Johnson Outdoors distribution facility to see if anyone could give me any advice (They do service for Eureka tents, so was not sure if they did sonars as well). Guy said they didn't do service, however offered to send it off to North bay for service. Spoke with the service company today, and he has already ordered a new board... should have it back by end of week or early next week. Good service IMO. Will see if it works. :)

8. Member
    Are you using angler or custom mode?

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crizzel View Post
    Are you using angler or custom mode?
    Not an option on Helix MSI/MDI units.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/