96 Venom 225 I think she has the flu

I need advice. i have a 96 Venom 225 that sneezes when idling but runs great on higher RPM's. I've included a video during my trimming to hear.

Does anyone have any ideas? I feel it's recirc valves but I'm not sure.
    Thanks

2. Member
    i was chasing a sneeze in my 2000 johnson, and it ended up being gaskets in these parts on the carbs

Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Any spit back coming out of the carbs when tilted up?

4. Member
    I didn't notice spit back but the bottom carb did have a few drips of gas when it was trimmed up, I could see it dripping every 30 seconds or so. I'll keep watching closely.
    Thanks

5. Member
    As I watched it even closer today the sneeze seems to exhaust behind the carbs and blows out sideways from the back of the carbs. I am at a loss but as I said it runs perfectly after it gets past about 2000 RPM. I just sound awful at the boat ramp.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Possible bad gasket behind the carbs?

not sure if it helps, but i chased one like that forever, even after all 6 carbs were rebuilt. i took each carb off, and went through everything like a surgeon.
    i finally found that the emulsion tube on 2 of them were clogged, and that was it....

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelot View Post
    As I watched it even closer today the sneeze seems to exhaust behind the carbs and blows out sideways from the back of the carbs. I am at a loss but as I said it runs perfectly after it gets past about 2000 RPM. I just sound awful at the boat ramp.
    Either a bad gasket behind the carbs like Bassmeister said or a loose reed block on the intake.

9. Member
    Thanks all I will take a look at all these suggestions and keep everyone posted. That's the reason I love this website, only problem now is that we are just barely above freezing and the fish are even too cold to bite.

10. Member
    So I was out in the sunshine looking at the carbs again to see where I should start then I noticed that I could see light every sneeze that came from behind the intake manifold on cylinder #5. I can also see the gasket pushing out. I will have to take the carbs, butterflies and intake manifold off and replace both the upper and lower gaskets. I'm hoping that was the cause of my sneeze but will look carefully at the reeds before I put it back together. Any other checks you guys feel I should do before I put it back together?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    To be sure on the reed blocks, remove one Allen head screw at a time from the intake and add a dab of blue loctite to the threads of each screw.