Livewell valve issue

Boat: 1996 Ranger R72 Sport

My livewell valve control panel says "fill", "recirc only", "empty" (this is a single pump system)

Just bought this boat used...When I fill it up with hose at home, I can never get water to just hold in the tank. When I slide the panel all the way to fill, small amount is draining out of the back, when I put on recirc only, still some is draining out the back, and when I put on empty, obviously its draining at a high rate.

Is this more likely a valve bad?

Where are the valves typically at? Down by the pumps?

Any and all help will be appreciated so I can know what to expect when I start digging into this thing.

Thanks

2. Member
    The livewell valve is in the bilge area. Easy to find. Inside the valve are three rubber flappers. Sometimes you can clean them and they will work again. Flow-rite makes a kit to replace the flappers, etc.

https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/valves/ma-060

I think this is the one, you may want to call them to double check. You can also find it on Ebay.

GL
    2011 Ranger Z119 Evinrude 200HO

Past Rigs

2007 Skeeter 190SX - Yamaha 150 Pro V
    2003 Ranger 521VX NASCAR. - Yamaha 250 HPDI
    2003 Trition Tr-22 - Yamaha 250 HPDI
    2000 Ranger 518VX - Johnson 200 Venom
    1996 Ranger 462VS - Mercury 150 EFI
    1995 Ranger 461VS - Evinrude 150 Intruder
    1995 Ranger 354V - Mercury 150XR6
    1987 Stratos 169V - Mariner 135
    1986 Coleman Crawdad - 1956 Johnson 5hp - Minn Kota 8lb thrust

I have a 98 R73 and just went through this, the valve is in the bottom of the bilge under the spare prop shelf. I tried the rebuild kit and just could not get it to work and just went ahead and put in a new valve, if you replace the valve the plumbing to the pump is put together with plumbers putty it will come apart with a little persuasion, your valve should be this one.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    I have a 98 R73 and just went through this, the valve is in the bottom of the bilge under the spare prop shelf. I tried the rebuild kit and just could not get it to work and just went ahead and put in a new valve, if you replace the valve the plumbing to the pump is put together with plumbers putty it will come apart with a little persuasion, your valve should be this one.
    Can you give me the model number for that valve?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joho5 View Post
    Can you give me the model number for that valve?

Thanks
    That is the V4 valve, it's for recirc, fill empty. Mine uses the V3 wich is recirc, empty, auto.

The rubber flappers in the livewell control valve either have a layer of crud growing on them or they have dry rotted. You can scrape the crud off, if that's the problem. If they have dry rotted, they need to be replaced and you can buy them from Flowrite.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

While you have your bilge tore apart, if you don't have a pump out feature and want to add it get this also, https://flow-rite.com/products/marine/aerators/ma-024-r you will need a thru hull fitting, https://flow-rite.com/products/marin...tings/ma-020-b some stainless hose clamps, a length of 3/4" ID hose and some silicone.

8. Member
    yep got inside the valve and it was trashed inside.

Replaced the flaps with the kid along with o-rings...havent put back in boat, but bet its good to go now.