livewell overflows

I have a 2000 20ss and when I run the livewell pumps water will run out over the top and get the carpet wet, it is also draining into the Hull causing the bilge pumps to turn on pumping out the water. I checked the over flows and couldn't find any blockage. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it.

2. Banned

Re: livewell overflows (slickrick)

Check for a dip, sag or kink in the drain hose... Dan

I was told to run 1 pump at a time and the overflow will keep up with it rather than having both pumps going when its full.. It seems to work.
    Stroker 21
    Mercury 250 PRO XB

TN Bluewater dealer/rep.
    BBO

4. Member

I have the same problem with a 2000 22 ss, I think it must be a problem with the levers that go from empty to recirculate, when it is set to recirculate it should not be pumping in fresh water, but it does. I think Stratos was over thinking the livewells when they designed this boat, it should not be so complicated, hope someone has a solution. Troy W.

5. Member

Try flushing out your over flow from the back of your boat with water pressure.

6. Member

I ran a snake through both drains and flushed them with a waterhose. I also adjusted the cable on the valve but I guess it still isn't closing. I may have to redo my pumps and hoses to fix the problem.

7. Member

Re: livewell overflows (troyw)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by troyw &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I have the same problem with a 2000 22 ss, I think it must be a problem with the levers that go from empty to recirculate, when it is set to recirculate it should not be pumping in fresh water, but it does. I think Stratos was over thinking the livewells when they designed this boat, it should not be so complicated, hope someone has a solution. Troy W. </td></tr></table>

If you have seperate switch's for freshwater pumps and recirc pumps, and you have the freshwater switch on, it will pump in freshwater with the valve in any position while the boat is sitting still.

8. Member

Re: livewell overflows (Flipping57)

There are 2 pumps for each live well, both do basically the same thing, [pump water into the live well] one of the pumps is the aux. pump. the levers [flowthru valves] control the functions, [auto, empty and recirculate] with it set on recirculate it should not be pumping in fresh water, but it does, even if it is set on empty it will pump in more water than the over-flow can keep up with. I think the problem has to be in the flow-thru valves, just not shutting off completly. Its hard to figure out because you can't duplicate the problem in the driveway.

9. Member

Sounds like one of the flappers in the valve may be stuck or broken.

Here is the link to Flow-right repair kit for them. I am going to repair mine too!

https://www.flow-rite.com/flow...r-kit

Lot of troubleshooting information on the site

https://www.flow-rite.com/marine

Hope that helps you!

10. Member

One of the pumps is for freshwater and one for recirc. With your livewell empy put the valve on recirc normally the switch on the left is for recirc, turn it on with the livewell empy and the valve on recirc and it will not pump anything. Turn the other switch on and it will pump in freshwater. With water in your livewell and your boat on the trailer with the valve on recirc the recirc pump will recirc the water but the freshwater pump will not pump anything. This is the way the livewells on my 200XL work and I am pretty sure they are the same on your boat.

Try putting water in your Livewell at home with the valve on recirc and you should be able to tell what switch works the freashwater pump (it will run but not pump anything) and witch one works the recirc pump (it will recirc the water in the livewell).

But the overflow problem is the drain tube is gravity flow and the pumps are putting more water in the livewell than the overflow tube can gravity flow out of it, because the opening for the overflow tube is under water.

11. Member

I mine is different because i never use the aux. pump, just the pump for the livewell, and it does pump in water, the aux. pump does also, that is the only pumps. Troy W.

12. Member

I am pretty sure the aux. switch works the recirc pump. If you can see all of your pumps you should have two pumps mounted to thru hull fittings on the back of your boat, and two valves mounted in the bottom of the boat. Each one of these valves will have a pump conected to it. If this is the way it is set up the two pumps mounted to the thru hull fittings are freshwater pumps and the two pumps at the valves are recirc pumps.

13. Member

Thanks for all of the info, i'm going to look in to it this weekend, i have been dealing with this for 2 years, most of the time it's ok because i always throw em back and fish only a few tournaments a year. Troy W.

14. Member

I did some more studying on my pumps and hoses today and I also talked with a Rep from stratos. I'm going to try to get on the water this weekend and try a few things. If it works I'll let y'all know next week.

15. Member

I have a 2003 pro xl, and mine does the same thing, i turn the pump on to fill the livewell and it will fill completely up to the top, the hose is not stopped up, other boats that i have been in does not over flow, did yo find the problem , if so let me know. thanks.

16. Member
    Your supply pumps are somewhere around 500gal/hr, that's almost 10 gallons per minute. There is no way the drain can flow that much with no pressure. I have to watch mine when filling.
    JD

06 285 XL Pro, Red and Gold
    07 Etec 150, Raker II
    Trollwell
    Lake Keowee, SC

17. Member

Re: livewell overflows (mofish)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by mofish &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Sounds like one of the flappers in the valve may be stuck or broken.

Here is the link to Flow-right repair kit for them. I am going to repair mine too!

https://www.flow-rite.com/flow...r-kit

Lot of troubleshooting information on the site

https://www.flow-rite.com/marine
    Hope that helps you! </td></tr></table>

Here's your answer, been there and done that. I took my flow rite valves all apart, cleaned them and rebuilt them. made sure that they closed fully and dont let water in and it fixed mine from overflowing.
    Another way to tell if its the flowrite valves is when i backed the boat in it would get a few inches of water in the livewell even tho it was set to empty or recirc. the valves were leaking thru and it was sucking in fresh water even in recirc mode. rebuilt the valves and replaced and it doesnt do it anymore.

18. Member
    Mine still does i put a new recirc valve in and still over flows with both timers on i fill up turn it on recirc it gets fresh water in and and when i turn it on auto it keeps the water in but need to keep the water in i have to switch to recirc if not it will over flow my ? Is if i fill the livewells up on auto yis it over flowing on recirc i don't want fresh water coming once i fill up like to have it set to recirc with the same water leval any suggestions?

19. Member
    very old thread BUT my 20ss 2000 does not overflow unless something covers the drain with 1 or 2 pumps running. maybe the drain hose is clogged at the screen? try flushing out the drain?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools