Thread: New gas springs

New gas springs

Planning on buying some new gas springs for my lids and rod lockers. Anyone know what pound springs I would need? The part number on the current ones say Attwood SL36 and the rest of it I can't read. The best I can find out about that is that it is the 36 series spring. There are many poundage options for that specific spring.

I also plan to add some aluminum angle to the lids to hang my spinnerbaits and jigs. I was thinking 40lb would be fine but I want to make sure I get the right ones.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I'm on the road, but think I have the information at home. I want to say that 20# were OEM, but when I replaced the ones on my 93 201, I went to 40# and had no issue with the lids trying to bounce open.

3. Member
    That sounds about right. The lids bouncing open was the one concern I had. Good to know.

Does it matter if they are a different brand? These Attwood springs are like $25 a piece and I have found some off brand ones at amazon with a 4.5 star rating for around $8-$10 a piece. The lengths are slightly different. 17.25" open and 10.25" closed (Original) vs 17." open and 10.8" closed (aftermarket).

I am planning to buy 4 so its a difference of spending about $110 shipped and $35 shipped.

4. Member
    I replace mine with 40 pounders from a local auto parts store. They work great.

5. Member
    I replaced mine from a local parts store also. I brought one to the store to match.

Make sure the new cylinders are the same length as your old ones cylinder.

I found some with the same overall length but the cylinders were different lengths that did not fit without moving the hardware.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfroese View Post
    ...Does it matter if they are a different brand?
    The only two things that would worry me about auto parts store replacements is, will they eventually rust and is the compressed and extended lengths going to cause an issue.. Attwood's should be stainless and are original length/stroke.

7. Member
    Funny story, I found a spare in the boat. Had this boat for almost a year and just now put the spare onto one of the rod lockers. It's a 40lb spring and it is an off brand. Suspa C16-06874 is the part number if anyone else needs it. Worked perfectly. In fact, I just ordered more on Amazon for $7.50 a piece.