Thread: Moving to Texas

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Moving to Texas

My wife and I have finally had enough of the bs in California, and we’re out of here. I won’t get into the politics and such, but this amazing state has been ruined, and I only see it getting worse. Aside from that, it’s become outrageously expensive and unrealistic for the middle class to survive. We’ve both lived here our entire lives (almost 30 years) but it is time to move on. After much research, we have decided Texas is where we want to be. In particular, the DFW area. For the people that live, or have lived around there, I would love to hear your input. Are there any areas that you’d recommend, or any to avoid? It seems to be a large area with many different suburbs, so any help narrowing it down would be great. I’ve worked for Costco over 7 years now, and will initially try to transfer to another warehouse out there. I want to look into other careers opportunities out there as well, however that will be for another post. Haha. In case anyone was wondering; I’m 29, my wife is 26, and we have an 18mo daughter.

2. Banned
    Maybe you should actually visit the state first.

3. Member
    Californians seems to get sick of California, move to Texas and then tell all of us how we should be more like California.

Not saying that will be you, but you can't swing a dead cat in Dallas without hitting some California transplant preaching to the locals about how much more sophisticated California is.

4. Member
    My wife grew up in San Francisco area and just took my daughter on a weeked there to visit some friends. Her parents sold their house, 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch, in 1985 for 230k. It recently sold for 1.3 million and looks exactly the same.

5. Member
    Check out Waco, TX if you want the best of Texas life. Alton Jones lives there. It’s a big small town. It’s close to I 35 so you can be on DFW or Austin in under 2 hours. That’s nothing for Texans. One thing to remember this when driving. The shoulders are there for you to let the cars past. As the driver in front, you pull over on the shoulder while keeping your speed and let the car behind pass you.
    The people are the best you’ll ever meet. As far as fishing, look at a map and check out where the best lakes are.
    He good Mexican restaurants have goat on the menus. You’ll like it. The best brisket you’ll ever eat is in Texas.

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomfox View Post
    ...The best brisket you’ll ever eat is in Texas.
    Northeast of Austin, in Taylor... Louie Mueller Barbeque.

https://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/

Congrats, and good luck with the move.
    Who controls John Gill?

7. Banned
    I hear Oklahoma is a great state to move too. Texas is over rated.

8. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    I have lived here my whole life as well..........
    It is certainly no bouquet of roses here anymore either, IMO

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I hear Oklahoma is a great state to move too. Texas is over rated.
    Food is better in Louisiana, I'd move there.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Food is better in Louisiana, I'd move there.

you know, they don’t call it the “sportsman’s paradise” for nothing!

11. Member
    We left California 4 years ago. We had been to Texas a number of times and almost moved there. ( My mother was born in San Antonio, Air Force brat ). We loved DFW area. Have some friends that lived just off Lake Ray Hubbard. Almost took a job in Decatur. Didn't want to live too close to all the traffic. But I was born and raised in VA. And most of my family lives here now. So we decided to move to VA to be close to family. But I still wish we would have moved to TX. We had gotten as far as looking at houses and talking to places about jobs,,,,she just didn't want to move where we had no family.

If you do move to TX remember, you left CA for a reason. Don't expect anyone or anything to change, enjoy that it isn't CA, we certainly are!
    Semper Fi

12. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    You wouldn't like it around Houston.................way to many poeple!

13. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    There aren't many folks up my way.....

I've always wanted to live between Rayburn and Toledo. Most likely won't ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WWDIII View Post
    You wouldn't like it around Houston.................way to many poeple!
    Conroe is pretty nice.

16. Member
    Thanks for the input guys, let’s keep it going. I fully understand why Texans don’t want anymore Californian immigrants. However, I am FAR from your typical Californian. We no longer fit in with the curremt culture, nor agenda out here. Texas sounds like a beautiful conservative place, and I’d never want to change that.

17. Banned
    I love Texas and would not live anywhere else. I lived in Dallas for 35 years and then moved to Fort Worth and like it. I am tired of living in the city and looking to move to east Texas. Dallas tries to be like New York or LA, The politics in Dallas crap. If you move to Dallas area move east of Dallas. If you move to Fort Worth move to west Fort Worth. It's still wide open. One reason I am moving is people in the city will wave at you but it's with the middle finger. The folks in east Texas are good country folk and will give you the shirt off their back.

18. Member
    I loved living in Texas, but had to move about 10 years ago. If I were to move back it would be to the Hill Country
    Hopefully right next door to a Rudy's BBQ!

19. Member
    The big cities are all controlled by knuckleheads. You have to get into the burbs or outside the burbs. Luckily, the suburban / rural population outnumbers the big city population so statewide issues are under control. From east of DFW, you can easily reach some of the best fishing the country has to offer, in 4 hours and a lot less. That’s not a long drive here. A long drive is Amistad or Falcon.

20. Member
    How Far East of Dallas would you go? Like Garland, or further?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast