Brand new 2018 Mercury 115 Proxs 4 stoke problem!

Just had a 2018 Mercury 115 Pro Xs CT installed on my Triton 176 VMag aluminum bass boat and right out of the gate it had issues! When I tried to get it over 5k rpms it started to bog/surge and slowly lose power until I back off to half throttle! Also the more I run it it eventually gets to a point where it bogs and surges all the time and eventually cut off one time! First test was hooking it to another gas tank which resulted in the same issues! Also it’s not a vent issue because I tried leaving the gas cap off which didn’t help!Looks like I’ll be taking it to the dealer! Any ideas on this?

Quote Originally Posted by spin-a-bait View Post
    Just had a 2018 Mercury 115 Pro Xs CT installed on my Triton 176 VMag aluminum bass boat and right out of the gate it had issues! When I tried to get it over 5k rpms it started to bog/surge and slowly lose power until I back off to half throttle! Also the more I run it it eventually gets to a point where it bogs and surges all the time and eventually cut off one time! First test was hooking it to another gas tank which resulted in the same issues! Also it’s not a vent issue because I tried leaving the gas cap off which didn’t help!Looks like I’ll be taking it to the dealer! Any ideas on this?
    Something in the vst is likely bad. Lift pump, lift pump float switch, or the HP pump

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Something in the vst is likely bad. Lift pump, lift pump float switch, or the HP pump

I totally agree! I’d bet my life it’s a high pressure fuel pump issue. Got a buddy that’s gonna talk to a tech at a local dealership for some insight! Looks like I’ll be dropping the boat off for a while ��

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Certainly won't be a float switch. More likely it's a supply restriction, but pump problems are certainly possible.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor