Beef Tenderloin???

Any one have any good tips or a recipe they would like to share? Got one as a gift, probably about 8 lbs...

After google I'm thinking pellet smoker at 225 until 115 IT then sear on the hot grill... just trust the BBC more than the Google!

Thanks!

Cut it into 1” thick medallions. Apply a generous amount of Sea salt several hours prior to cooking. Just before throwing it on the grill, splash with worchestershire sauce and pepper. Wrap in bacon (I pin it with toothpicks) and grill to medium.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-24-2018 at 10:34 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Beef wellington. It's a bunch of work, but MAN is it worth it!

Sautee muchrooms and onions in butter with black pepper and salt until moisture is gone. Deglaze pan with some nice red wine (I prefer cabernet sauvignon), continue to cook until mixture is almost dry again.

Slice tenderloin into 2" thick slices, salt and pepper liberally, and pan sear in a rocket hot cast iron pan on all sides, just long enough to develop a nice crust on all sides, we aren't trying to cook it here. Place into fridge until thoroughly chilled.

Lay out one sheet of puff pastry that has been thawed enough to work with it. Seal the seams from unfolding, and hit it with a rolling pin a few times. A cold marble one works best, as does a cold granite countertop. If you don't have a cold granite countertop, put a cookie sheet in the freezer and then put the pastry on that.

Remove filet from fridge, and brush dijon mustard onto the whole filet. If you are able to get foie gras pate, cover the entire filet with it (optional, it's difficult to find).

Then cover the entire filet with the mushroom/onion mixture. It should stick to either the mushroom or the foie gras, whichever.

Place a piece of saran wrap on the counter. Onto that, lay a slice of prosciutto. Lay another piece, barely overlapping the edge of the first. Continue until you have enough to wrap the filet.

Place the filet in the middle of the prosciutto. Wrap the prosciutto around the filet, using the saran wrap to draw it tight.

Wrap the filet with puff pastry now, and seal with egg wash.

Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 400 and continue to make until internal temp reaches 125 degrees.

I usually serve this with risotto, and I make a cabernet reduction pan sauce to serve over the top of the wellington. You need to add sugar to the sauce, as it develops a VERY strong flavor as you reduce it. When serving the wellington, slice off the ends of the puff pastry with a razor sharp knife, then slice it in half. Lay the two halves on the plate, cut side up.

Enjoy!

4. Member
    Holy Smokes! I think that is above my pay grade!

That does sound phenomenal. Maybe I can talk my mother into doing all that work while dad and I try to catch her a crappie.

The medallions I could probably whip!

Thanks for the helps!

5. Member
    Kamado Joe Beef Wellington

6. Member
    So maybe I have been wrong all this time but isnt a beef tenterloin just a filet not cut up ? Or are filets cut from another piece of the cow ?

So maybe I have been wrong all this time but isnt a beef tenterloin just a filet not cut up ? Or are filets cut from another piece of the cow ?

You are correct. The tenderloin is trimmed for steaks producing some trimmings I use for kab-bobs and or stirfry.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uscdraft View Post

You are correct. The tenderloin is trimmed for steaks producing some trimmings I use for kab-bobs and or stirfry.
    Stir fry with tenderloin is amazing.