Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Promax PVS set up

I got my hands on a 30 pitch Promax that I believe is an early Robbie Patterson version. Using it on an XB21 300XS 1.75 gear two power poles. Put it on took it to a small lake. I have 4 solid plugs in it in the holes closest to the gearcase it has 8 holes. Trim all the way down. Propshaft I ran it 1 inch below the pad and even with basically the same results. When you punch it the boat makes a good initial jump and rpm jump right up to 4000 then in 2 seconds it’s at 5300 bow is up kind of high it’s still pushing the boat good it breaks over and off you go. The mid range push that this prop has is very impressive. Like I said small lake so at about 75 mph you have to get off the throttle or your going in the trees. I don’t like that 5300 rpm flare it does and I feel if I could tone that down some I may end up with a better hole shot. Want to hear from you if you have ran this prop and how you set it up? Thanks

I sold my 30p promax a month or two ago, but I did a lot of comparison Testing with it.

I personally let mine vent and spin up. I run with all 8 open. Slight (under 1 second bog) and then gone. No rings. On my boat I have studied holeshot with the plate down using a data logger that takes 20 readings a second (I have extremely good resolution and visibility to what the boat is doing). It is slower out of the hole and to 85 with the plate down. This is why I never touch my jack plate. I run 1” over all the time, big or small lake, rough or calm, loaded or unloaded.

That is with poles as well. I do have 2 degree wedges. They help a lot. They shave 10 seconds off my 5-85 with big wheels like the 32&34.

Obviously different boats. Just my take on the Promax. I have a 26 lab now and just ran Jays 30 a few weeks ago and it was close to mine with 4 vent holes out of the hole. Top end was right on as well. So two ran very similar.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

3. Member
    What do you turn for rpm when you punch the throttle with all 8 holes open? I took my wedges out last summer and felt no difference with data logging you probably can. I took them out due to concern of stress on the bolts. I find on my boat at 1 inch over at a cruising speed say 65-70 my water pressure is low and I get an O.H. alarm. At 1/2 above I am good. Now if I run flat out and above 85 mph I am good at 1 inch above.

Geoff and I have done so much testing with many different props, loads, setbacks, and gear sets we have discovered that no 2 props or rigs perform exactly the same. That being said if you can live with the spin up on a Promax they are hard to beat right out of the box for all round performance for the money spent! Not sure there is 1 single prop that does everything great but in my testing the Promax is as solid as I have run. I ran my Promax 30 250/1.75 combo with 8" setback with all 4 pvs holes plugged and worked well at 1/2" over. I am now running 12" setback and 3/4"-1 1/8" over plus had my spin up reduced 200 rpm by Matt in Longview with a little cupping and run all 4 pvs holes open with basically the same performance. I have no real bog at the beginning, I do spin up to about 4500 then flash to 5100 as nose falls. The promax feels more like a overhub on holeshot than say a bravo or hydro xob in my opinion. I have tested the trophy style blowout ring as well and it caused more bog on all setups and was slower than letting it spin and go. Guess as long as I stay off the limiter its all good lol. Most over-hub props spin up to 55-5700 on my rig and come out pretty strong as well. I have never tried a Robbie Patterson edition Promax.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

5. Member
    In the testing you guys have done have you tried a foil either an Allison foil or the Baileys foil.

RPM are similar to Jay

I have traditional foil and my own version of the Bailey foil. The traditional foil helps some. I have not found it to limit my speed as some have found. But I also made my traditional foil as well, so it’s not the exact same as other ones. Mine doesn’t have the down turned edges. I have tried down turning the edges and didn’t do it on my latest version because of the issues others had reported above 95/96.

I will I’ll say the wedges help my Boat more than the traditional foil. Especially with nose rise. I will take the wedges over the traditional foil any day. Luckily it’s not a this or that so I run them both.

The other Bailey foil. I have modeled the entire back of the boat in 3D software. I have even videotaped the bottom and modeled in water lines. The interesting thing is the skid planner. The skid planner for most props does exactly what the Bailey foil does. I have run two versions of the other Bailey foil both fixed and not pivoting. One parallel to the jack plate and the other in the down position. The skid planner does it’s job and I have found the down position to really only work with tall props like my 32 and up. Ones that really bog my motor down. On my 30 promax it was negligible.

The up position or parallel to the jack Lin a big holeshot plate does almost nothing. The skid planner again is doing its job.

I’m cutting all the parts now to do the pivoting version with an actuator. Should be mounting it at Smoke on the water. See how it works. My latest version pushes it way down below the skid planner. We will see what happens.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I have a 30 with no holes and 1.75 gears It does have a welded flair.--- normally from 1" below pad to even-----------with a heavy tournament load it has an OK hole shot at lower elevation lakes.. It vastly improved the hole shot with Bailey foil. (don't get aluminum) get SS they will bend on a loaded 300 real quick. It does not over spool or surge without the holes. just a good steady climb..
    I would sure try adding plugs one at a time to yours.

Here are both foils I made on my old jack plate and before poles.

Just to be clear. I have nothing against the Bailey items. He makes some great stuff. I just like to fabricate my own stuff. Its free and I get to try as many different combinations as I want. This is the version attached parallel to the plate (big holeshot plate).

All the holeshot plate stuff was for testing purposes. I didn't want to make one just to find out they did nothing. I have moved it around so many times trying different things it looks like Swiss cheese from all the holes drilled in it. LOL.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I am also running a SS Bailey foil on my rig and see a little difference but as I add people it helps out more for sure with my setup. I have never had a surging issue on a Promax only on a couple Hydro XOB's
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    I am also running a SS Bailey foil on my rig and see a little difference but as I add people it helps out more for sure with my setup. I have never had a surging issue on a Promax only on a couple Hydro XOB's
    Hydro's and Bravo's surge on my setup. Both can be a little tricky to get the right amount of ventilation.

11. Member
    My experience has been more venting and removal of the flare on the Q4XOB's and bravos, let it spin to 5000+ rpms and go. I do have a 28p promax with 8pvs holes. Running 1.62 gears solo the hole shot is good, spins up to 5200+ and goes. I took a nephew and his wife as well as 125 lbs ballast, 15 gals gas and full livewell out fishing for the last 2 days and discovered the Promax does surge some with a load but not bad.
    Mike I solved the surging on the Hydro's by adding a ton of venting and removing the 3/4" flare ring on my set up.
    I also have a foil (Titanium) and a Bailey hole shot plate, the plate in the down position keeps the nose down during hole shot with a heavy load. Solo I usually don't mess with it and leave it up.

Only one of 3 Promax's I have ran surged. but not bad.
    Fished a T at Ute last weekend (2nd place) ran the 26 ProMax with out the foil---- Full load 2 men hole shot is good but it still wants to stand up a little.. Went back to Ute this weekend with the new SS foil and same load but 3 on board. Hole shot was flatter and faster..

My promax does launch pretty bow high but its up and over quickly. The Bailey foil does help for sure. My nose did rise as I went to a bigger setback but not suffering any loss of holeshot. I do not run any wedges.
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

14. Member
    I am glad I ask this question a lot of great help. I have a stainless baileys foil I just haven't put it on yet. I know the Promax tends to have that high rpm flare on hole-shot by design but I don't care for it. That mid range push it has is great so for that I may have to tolerate some of the flare. I also hope that it will finally get my boat past that 90 mph mark. Seems to me that while its spinning up to 5100 its just digging a hole that's why the bow rises so much. If I can tone the rpm flare down some then instead its pushing the boat forward. Fishnfireman I will be trying your suggestions next time I am on the water.

let us know if it helps.
    Like someone said, no two setups are the same and then you add different loads and weight distribution then throw in elevation-- temperatures. It gets to be a constant battle.

16. Member
    Had a pre fish day on Friday. Put 4 medium PVS plugs in the outer holes. So that’s 4 solids close to the gear case and 4 mediums in the outer holes. Boat won’t get on plane with out someone sitting on the front deck. When you hit the throttle it spins to 4000 hangs there bow comes way up and it surges and finally gets enough speed for the boat plane. I didn’t run it up very far 80 mph a couple times. I have never seen so much stuff float down the river spooky dangerous running through all that junk. Took it off put a 29.5 Bravo XS built by Billy Eaves all I can say is wow this prop will get me past the 90 mark I ran a new personal best 89.2 with 2 people and live wells full boat was badly unbalanced and junk floating everywhere. And it comes out of the hole perfect.

Sounds like a keeper.

18. Member
    Almost there Kevin.. almost..
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

19. Member
    When you see multiple whole trees floating down the river it’s not a big confidence builder that its ok to run 90 mph. 60 probably wasn’t safe.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    When you see multiple whole trees floating down the river it’s not a big confidence builder that its ok to run 90 mph. 60 probably wasn’t safe.

I agree... I felt the same with your prop both times I ran it... ass end never gets settled... Ring has to come off.. didn't stop me from running 91.4 first time and 91.7 last weekend... over 90 it was just acting stupid... one bump the bow raised like 4 or 5 inches and made me feel like the was end was going to go by me.. I bought a torch yesterday lol
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast