Thread: Post Spawn

T Dub

Post Spawn

This time of year is typically the only time I can find and catch crappie. Those of you who stay on them year round, where do you find them after the spawn is over? I have a friend who catches them okay in June/July around tree tops, but I've never been successful.

2. Member
    Post spawn is tough here too. A lot of guys will be pulling cranks across big flats or longlining jigs. We have had some luck just drifting these huge flats with the spinners that the walleye guys use tipped with minnows or a crawler. We have also had some luck drifting small 1/16, 1/8, and on occasion some 1/4 oz swim jigs designed for crappie tipped with minnows or half a crawler. Like I said it is tough here too post spawn. Trying to keep junk fish off can be a challenge but quite active at times.

3. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Post spawn is tough here too. A lot of guys will be pulling cranks across big flats or longlining jigs. We have had some luck just drifting these huge flats with the spinners that the walleye guys use tipped with minnows or a crawler. We have also had some luck drifting small 1/16, 1/8, and on occasion some 1/4 oz swim jigs designed for crappie tipped with minnows or half a crawler. Like I said it is tough here too post spawn. Trying to keep junk fish off can be a challenge but quite active at times.
    By drifting you just mean letting the wind push you, or are you trolling?

4. Member
    We like to just let the wind push us but will on occasion bump the trolling motor to keep the boat squared up, if too much wind we will sometimes throw out a drift sock to slow down a little. .05 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for us when drifting. On the rare occasions we pull cranks 1.5 to 2.0 seems to be pretty good to get the needed action on the cranks.