Compartment Lids Tight

I have a 2015 920 that I bought used last year. The rod lockers and the rear compartment lids fit very tight and are very hard to open. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a fix?
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

2. Member
    Is the carpet just extremely fresh and new? That's not necessarily a bad thing if that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Is the carpet just extremely fresh and new? That's not necessarily a bad thing if that's it.
    The carpet is compressed as much as it is going to get and the lids are still very tight. I was hoping it would loosen up over time, but its not getting any better.
    Steve Sendelweck

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    The carpet is compressed as much as it is going to get and the lids are still very tight. I was hoping it would loosen up over time, but its not getting any better.
    Your dealer can help with this. I had the same issue with a rod locker. My dealer called the factory and they told him how to fix it. It involves a rubber hammer.

You can use a beard trimmer to cut/shave the carpet pile a little on the lid sides to free up some room. I had to do that on my fish-n-ski after installing new carpet.

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

Quote Originally Posted by 14decoys View Post
    Your dealer can help with this. I had the same issue with a rod locker. My dealer called the factory and they told him how to fix it. It involves a rubber hammer.
    I may try the rubber hammer on one lid and see how it goes. I'm an engineer, so beating on stuff with hammers is kinda my thing.
    Steve Sendelweck

7. Member
    Mine are really tight also. I like them like that. If you grab the handle and give it a quick pull up they open right up. You almost give them a quick jerk.
    My 13yr old gets them open no problem. It seems more like suction than sticking.
    good luck

I worked on the worst one with my orange harbor freight deadblow and it opens fairly easy now. Thanks for the tip. Now I'm going back out to the garage to beat the rest of them.
    Steve Sendelweck

9. Member
    I have one that's a little tight. Are you opening them slightly and "tapping" the edge to slightly "adjust" the hinge back a little.

10. Member
    I may try the rubber hammer on one lid and see how it goes. I'm an engineer, so beating on stuff with hammers is kinda my thing.
    And if the rubber hammer does not work, try a bigger one. A proven engineering principle!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

I'm an engineer, so beating on stuff with hammers is kinda my thing.
    In my world, we call them millwrights!!

Don't fit? Get a bigger hammer!

12. Member
    Precision momentary pressure applicator

Quote Originally Posted by greeneb View Post
    I have one that's a little tight. Are you opening them slightly and "tapping" the edge to slightly "adjust" the hinge back a little.
    I'm hitting the edge of the lid and bending the flange inward. Mine are tight on the sides, so I worked on the sides and left the hinge and the side opposite the hing alone. I did both rear compartments and the rod locker and they are all much easier to open now.
    Steve Sendelweck

14. Member
    I worked on the worst one with my orange harbor freight deadblow and it opens fairly easy now. Thanks for the tip. Now I'm going back out to the garage to beat the rest of them.
    Happy to be of assistance!!